Question How big impact does temperature have on CPU?

Aug 13, 2019
Hi!

I know that overall the hotter the CPU the worse it performs, or at least that's what I heard

I don't know how important the temperature difference really is so I'll just describe my situation
I consider choosing one of 2 options for how my fans are supposed to work, either "silent" or "standard". The difference I found using OST stress test is about 7 degrees(top temperature when using silent was 77 while average on standard is about 69-70 degrees)

I do enjoy silence, but I can take a bit of noise if this difference in temperature impacts my CPU's performance significantly

note. the real difference in temps will probably be different in long run, but as I don't have time now I ran stress test for about 10 mins on each mode and the temperatures are as stated above

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
I know that overall the hotter the CPU the worse it performs, or at least that's what I heard
This isn't true in that sense.

A CPU will perform effectively the same until it reaches throttle temperature, or unless the temperature is high enough that it cannot boost correctly. And these temperatures can vary between processors.

Put it this way, for Intel processors, it is generally recommended to keep the CPU below 85 degrees, even though some newer CPU processors, actually have a throttle temperature of 100 degrees. This recommendation is not so you maximise performance, but maximise the health and lifespan of the CPU itself. Realistically, keep it below it's throttle temperature and you shouldn't have a performance issue.

What is your CPU exactly?
Speculating at this point, but unless you're on for example, older AMD FX architecture or some workstation CPUs, 77 degrees maximum is not too high. For intel, below 85 is recommended, below 80 is ideal.

Aug 13, 2019
This isn't true in that sense.

A CPU will perform effectively the same until it reaches throttle temperature, or unless the temperature is high enough that it cannot boost correctly. And these temperatures can vary between processors.

Put it this way, for Intel processors, it is generally recommended to keep the CPU below 85 degrees, even though some newer CPU processors, actually have a throttle temperature of 100 degrees. This recommendation is not so you maximise performance, but maximise the health and lifespan of the CPU itself. Realistically, keep it below it's throttle temperature and you shouldn't have a performance issue.

What is your CPU exactly?
Speculating at this point, but unless you're on for example, older AMD FX architecture or some workstation CPUs, 77 degrees maximum is not too high. For intel, below 85 is recommended, below 80 is ideal.
i7 4790k

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
In which case the same logic applies above.

Coming from Computronix's Intel Temperature Guide:
Core temperatures above 85°C are not recommended.
Core temperatures below 80°C are ideal.

Core temperatures increase and decrease with Ambient temperature.

Idle temperatures below 25°C are generally due to Ambient temperatures below 22°C.

Highest Core temperatures occur during stress tests or heavy rendering and transcoding, but are lower during less processor intensive apps. Gaming generally averages around 55°C, yet can range from 40 to 70°C, depending on how a particular game title allocates CPU / GPU workloads, as well as differences in overall cooling performance and Ambient temperature.