How big is the difference between 802.11 WiFi vs a 10/100/1000 ethernet via USB 3.0 adapter vs Gigabit ethernet via a USB-C

Solution
Agreed, it does not matter which you use as both are faster than gigabit Ethernet, so whichever is more reasonably priced for a good quality adapter is the better choice. PCIe is the desktop mainboard slot, mentioned as you did not specify your particular computer type. It is not relevant for laptop choices.

RealBeast

Titan
Gigabit Ethernet will give you around 100-120MB/sec transfer speeds of files and very low latency with very few interference issues at a range of 200-300 feet. You shouldn't see any difference between PCIe and USB3 adapters of good quality.

Most wireless will be substantially slower and have higher latency, which is important for gaming. Wireless file transfer speeds depends on exactly what gear you use, surrounding wireless, and the number of wireless users on your network.

Look past all the marketing numbers and you will find that while there are many fast wireless AC routers, there are very few adapters capable of the AC1900 standard, most are only AC1200 or lower. The fastest wireless adapters that I've tested are around 400Mbps, so about 50MB/sec, in very close proximity to the wireless router -- 10 feet with no walls and only the router and one test adapter. Beyond that distance or with multiple users the speeds drop off fairly fast. Faster wireless connections require a pair of high end AC routers with one in media bridge mode.

Take a look at the router charts HERE for pretty good wireless performance numbers for any particular router by class, although you also need to factor in the wireless adapter that you use.

Ethernet 1Gbs. All things being done right, you should have a max speed of 1Gbs. Quality of the wiring, routers/switches/etc will affect the actual speed. You need Cat5e or Cat6 to get gigabit speeds.

802.11 Wifi. There are a bunch of them. AC, the latest spec, has a theoretical max of 1.3Gbs. If you can find a real world environment where this happens, also look for a unicorn, they'll be in the same room. Client antenna hardware, router hardware, walls, people, piping, trees, interfering signals from other devices, they all play a part in the signal strength. In general, always slower by a large degree than Ethernet.

USB 3. It's rated to 5Gbs, 10Gbs for 3.1, but thats for ideal data speeds. Network adapters tend to be far less. I've only seen them rated to around 800Mbs ish speeds.

USB-C, which is basically USB 3.1. For networking, you'll run in to the same problems as USB 3, it'll all depend on the adapter you use.

Brian_W

Honorable
Jun 9, 2013
""You shouldn't see any difference between PCIe and USB3 adapters of good quality. ""

My laptop has a USB 3.1 (thunderbolt0 or USB 3.0. I can buy an adapter for either. The internet is good but it's not super fast or anything. Will there be a difference? between those twoo. I'm not sure what you mean by "PCIe".... dont have that option.

Thanks

RealBeast

Titan
Agreed, it does not matter which you use as both are faster than gigabit Ethernet, so whichever is more reasonably priced for a good quality adapter is the better choice. PCIe is the desktop mainboard slot, mentioned as you did not specify your particular computer type. It is not relevant for laptop choices.

Solution