How big of a SSD would i need

venom2

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2010
Hey
i am looking to buy a ssd here this weekend and really dont know what one to go with as i am only looking to put FFXIV and ALL of w/e expansions come out with it and maybe 1 or 2 other games but my question is how big of a SSD do i need really? and i am wanting to keep it at or under 300 dollars

i was looking at this on
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820148348

seeing as it has a better write speed than the 64gb verison and if i get one that big i would probably put my os on it

Those drives, according to the latest SSD Review on the home page, are better than good.

However, if you don't have a SATA III motherboard, don't get something that expensive. Try a OCZ Vertex 2 60 to 120GB SSD. I still like Intel X25-M 80GB, try here.

If you have a large enough HDD (which you probably do), you can just install the OS and Programs to the SSD. Then have all your libraries/media/data on the HDD (i.e. My Documetns, Downloads, Music, Pictures, and Videos).

So 60GB should be enough. I only use 22+GB on my rig, but I only have Win7, Office 2007, Quicken, iTunes, and Norton (the largest applications I can think of).

sublifer

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2008

The Crucial C300 you linked to there is arguably the best drive that you can get right now (well, the 256GB version anyway...) The OCZ Vertex2 drives are nearly as fast and might save you a little bit of money but really we're talking $20-40 which is a small difference compared to your budget.

Any drive 100GB or more would be plenty large for your needs assuming you were reloading your OS on it as you didn't mention your OS. If you aren't doing an OS on the SSD (which you really ought to if you're going to invest in an SSD) but if you aren't, then a 40GB or 60GB would be more than enough just for games.

Good luck!

mark_k

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2008

I agree. Get the curcialC300 and the ASUS SATA III cardU3S6 USB 3.0 & SATA 6Gb/s Add-on card or just use it naked......
At least you have room to grow with the C300.

erdinger

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2008
Get a sandfore 1200 drive from Ocz Corsair G.skill Mushkin or any other vendor.

They all perform great and are avaiable at 40,60,80 and 120 gb. I would reccomend you to buy the 60gb version! Saves you a lot of money at no loss of performance