Question How big of a TV can I mount in my living room?

tezarin

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2015
Hi,

I currently have a 42" TV that I would like to replace with a larger size soon and have it mounted on the wall. I never had a TV mounted so I am not sure in my limited space I have in the corner what would be the max TV size I can fit.
Please see the attached picture which shows my current setup in my living room. From the side of the curtain where it ends to where the bricks of the fireplace starts, it measures 47". The two side of the 90 degrees (as you see in the picture) are not the same width. From the corner to the curtain is like 20" and from the corner to the bricks of the fireplace measures around 41". Can you please let me know how big of a TV can I mount in that space?

Thanks in advance

Do you not own a tape measure?
Not saying I can't help you, but this is definitely something you can measure/figure out for yourself.

Also, depending on the bezel thickness of the specific TV you choose the width of the TV may vary slightly in the same diagonal size (aka, not all 55" TVs are the same horizontal width).

tezarin

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2015
tennis2, I mentioned that this is my first time mounting a TV and have no clue how to measure this. I do own a tape measure and that's how I measured the the corner to curtain and corner to fireplace width and also the diagonal from the curtain side to where the bricks start.

jay32267, thank you for your prompt reply. Would you mind please let me know how you calculated it so I can learn, too? The link you posted was exactly what I was looking at on Amazon, too.

Thanks again

Ralston18

Titan
Are you planning flush mount to the wall (i.e., flat on the wall) or are you planning to use a wall mount and articulated arm so the TV can be pulled away from the wall and angled into/ towards the room for better viewing?

The most important part is that you can securely attach the wall mount and/or arm assembly to the wall with long screws that go well into the wall stud's centerline.

Especially so if the flat screen will be continually being pulled out and pushed in. Connecting to the drywall (sheet rock) alone will not do the job.

Overall, you must abide by the applicable manufacturer's (wall mount, arm, flat screen) installation guides and manuals.

Cut a piece of cardboard the exact size of the proposed flatscreen TV and move it in, out, and about as you expect to do with the actual flat screen.

Remember that there will also be connecting power, data, speaker cables dangling about.

I doubt that you will be able to go beyond a 46"flat screen with only 42" inches of wall width available.

A 46 inch screen only leaves one inch on each end of the TV. Even 44" of actual width may be too wide.

TV size Reference table:

Source:

https://topuptv.co.uk/tv-screen-height-width-dimensions/

Check the TV manufacturer's specs to be sure.

44 inch TV dimensionsHeight: 21.5 inch, Width: 38.3 inchTotal Viewing Area: 823.4 inches
45 inch TV dimensionsHeight: 22.0 inch, Width: 39.1 inchTotal Viewing Area: 861.3 inches
46 inch TV dimensionsHeight: 22.5 inch, Width: 40.0 inchTotal Viewing Area: 900.0 inches
47 inch TV dimensionsHeight: 23.0 inch, Width: 40.9 inchTotal Viewing Area: 939.6 inches
48 inch TV dimensionsHeight: 23.5 inch, Width: 41.7 inchTotal Viewing Area: 980.0 inches

tennis2, I mentioned that this is my first time mounting a TV and have no clue how to measure this. I do own a tape measure and that's how I measured the the corner to curtain and corner to fireplace width and also the diagonal from the curtain side to where the bricks start.

jay32267, thank you for your prompt reply. Would you mind please let me know how you calculated it so I can learn, too? The link you posted was exactly what I was looking at on Amazon, too.

Thanks again
Well....I figured the corner to the bricks was 41".....so if the TV was in the corner mounted at a 45.....I wanted to see what the max width was that you could go to and not block the fireplace.

So the widest the TV can be is the square root of 41^2+41^2......which is......
58 inches.

Then I googled how wide TVs are and 65" TVs are about 57" wide.....which is why I say "borderline".

60" TVs are about 53" wide

tezarin

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2015
Ralston18, thank you for your reply. The cardboard model s a great idea, I can ask my husband to try that. Dangling wires are another issue, will have to think about that as well.

jay32267, thanks much for explaining how you calculated it, the width of my current TV is 42", so I measured the width not the diagonal if that makes a difference.

My bad, your initial post "I have a 47" horizontal space to fill with a TV, what size TV should I buy" tripped my yellow flag. There are an enormous number of forum threads started here that could've been avoided with a simple Google search of the original question (verbatim), so we get a little desensitized.

I have my 55" TV mounted using this $40 wall mount. I like that it's got cable routing sleeves, and you can make tilt adjustments (in case you don't get the wall screws perfectly vertical). I wouldn't recommend that goofy corner mount that Jay linked. Far too complicated, and frankly unnecessary.

(Since I have AutoCAD open anyway) Given your dimensions, and assuming ~16" stud spacings from the corner/fireplace wall, you're looking at an ~11" protrusion away from the wall with the TV forming the hypotenuse between the corner of the fireplace and the curtain. The mount I linked can go from 2"-22" away from the wall.

55" TVs don't get much narrower than 48" in width. So you're probably looking at a 49-50" size (~43" wide). Using this size/distance calculator, 50" is good for a 7' viewing distance (not that you have much choice due to physical limitations). Use your tape measure (or cut a piece of cardboard like Ralston suggested) to see what 43" and 48" of width looks like in your space.

Check out rtings.com for TV reviews. If you're shooting for a 55" TV, circle back and verify the width of the specific TV you intend to buy in your space before purchasing (like I said, bezel thickness can make some TVs slightly wider than others)

Last edited:

tezarin

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2015
Tennis2, thank you for your helpful reply. I appreciate all the info.
If we decide to just place that TV on the same TV stand as we have now and maybe pull that a bit forward to fit, I measured and a 65" TV (60" width) is doable it looks like. Less mounting hassle maybe. Found two that I liked and are in my price range. Which one do you recommend? Thanks

https://www.costco.com/samsung-65"-class---740d-series---4k-uhd-led-lcd-tv.product.100498843.html

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/toshib...h-hdr-fire-tv-edition/6356275.p?skuId=6356275

I don't have fireTV, using Roku right now and install apps using that. The number os HDMI and USB are the same for both TV. Any help would be much appreciated.

First of all, what size TV would give you the optimum image from your particular viewing distance?
There are some standards for this relationship between tv size and viewing distance.

Your picture is worth a thousand words.
It looks to me like you need a wall mount with a swing arm that is sufficiently strong to hold a large TV sufficiently out from the wall so you can orient it to where you are watching from.
How strong will depend on the weight of the tv.

Ergotron makes some high quality mounts for monitors and tv's.
They include detailed specs and drawings.
Here, for example i s one:

If you are looking at a 65" tv or larger, best to plan on a floor mounted stand.

Reactions: tezarin

tezarin

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2015
Thank you so much for your replies.
Tennis2, I coupdn't find a review for tgat one either but on reddit someone had mentioned tyat TV being edge lit so I guess it won't be a option.

Geofelt, thank you I will go and checkout that website. What will be the biggest possible TV for my wall in your opinion ?

Thank you so much for your replies.
Tennis2, I coupdn't find a review for tgat one either but on reddit someone had mentioned tyat TV being edge lit so I guess it won't be a option.

Geofelt, thank you I will go and checkout that website. What will be the biggest possible TV for my wall in your opinion ?
I do not know the distance you will sit from the TV.
This link might help you assess that.

Eyeballing the current unit, I might guess that you could handle a 65" 4k tv.