how big of a wast is 32gb ram

luka1000

Honorable
Aug 26, 2017
just wondering is it a complete wast if i get 32 gb of ram right now i have 16 and i am upgrading my computer from a GTX 1050 to a RTX 2060 so then i can get enough fps to use my 144hz monitor lol and i was wondering if i should upgrade my ram at the same

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
Strictly gaming? A total waste, IMO.
You're never likely to utilize 16GB, let alone any more.

If you have additional, memory-intensive workloads, then monitor utilization. If you're using 16GB, then an upgrade may be beneficial.

Given a 2x8GB kit of DDR4 is ~$90 minimum and an RTX2060 is ~$350.
https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/graphics-cards/rtx-2060/

A 2070 can be had for ~$470.
https://pcpartpicker.com/product/nczkcf/msi-geforce-rtx-2070-8gb-video-card-geforce-rtx-2070-duke-8g-oc

So the $90 you'd be prepared to spend on RAM, would probably be better served going towards the GPU.

The kind of system you are talking about, especially if ALL you are doing mostly is gaming, is not going to benefit from anything above 16GB.

The only way you would EVER need 32GB would be if you were running some extremely demanding 3d, CAD, video production or virtual machine applications, something along those lines. Possibly if you are running a LOT of things simultaneously like your game engine, recording software, skype or another communication program or overlay, or if you know because you've LOOKED at resource monitor or another monitoring utility that are dropping below 2GB of remaining storage, which is doubtful or you'd probably already know that.

I've been manipulating some scanned images in PS and having 8 (photo sized) of them open took me up to 15GB or thereabouts.

luka1000

Honorable
Aug 26, 2017

ya the only game that brings me up to 80% is black ops 4 but i think if i upgrade my gpu form a 1050 3gb to a rtx 2060 i should be okay with keeping 16gb ram

Jun 28, 2018

As the 2 moderators mentioned, if you are on a gaming rig, there's no reason to go up to 32GB. I was on the same dilemma and I figured it out that it's a waste. 16GB for gaming will get you for at least 2 or 3 more years, while DDR5 platform will be introduced in 2020-21 (?) and then you would upgrade your whole system.

If you are on 1080p / 144Hz monitor, RTX 2060 will be more than enough, it can even support 1440p / 60Hz, but if you are able to spend some more money, you could go for a RTX 2070 instead and get that future-proof grade GPU (which I don't recommend either since it's an overkill).

Unless you run a Ryzen CPU, there's no reason to upgrade your RAM. If you have a Ryzen CPU and you want to squeeze every single FPS out your CPU, on 1080p, then you should try some Samsung B-Die rams, like Trident Z series (3200C14) or Corsair's Vengeance PRO.

On the other hand, if you do heavy multi tasking or heavy video rendering/photo editing then you should get 32GB of RAM

luka1000

Honorable
Aug 26, 2017

aaa okay i get it now thank you ya i might go with the 2060 for now just cus i have to buy a new power supply also

Understandable, but I'm sure those are either extremely large images or images with a lot of layers, and while that might be a common thing for you to be doing, it's very unlikely that most people would be doing that while gaming. What you and I do, isn't the same as what most people will do with their system, which is as you know, why we ask "what is this system for?".

Absolutely, they were quite high res scans, and even then I barely hit 15GB, so as mentioned most people, doing normal gaming things, not an issue.