[SOLVED] How can 2 devices work on 2.4GHz band ? (Bluetooth and Wi-Fi)

Jan 17, 2022
Hi,

I have two devices : a D-LINK DIR 819 dual-band router and Google Pixel Buds Series A.

I am connecting the Pixel Buds to my phone and connecting my phone on the 2.4GHz WiFi.

How are they both working fine ?

How can both WiFi and Bluetooth use the same 2.4GHz band?

How are they both working ?

Is it something to do with the fact that my router is a dual-band router ? I used to have a D-LINK DIR 505 with only 2.4GHz where the Wi-Fi would basically stop transmitting when it was used simultaneously with Bluetooth.

How is this working ?

Last edited:
Solution
But how can they both work ?

My previous router was a 2.4GHz router (no 5GHz band). When I use to connect my bluetooth and wifi, wifi would essentially stop working.

How is it working here ?
Bluetooth can interfere with some devices WIFI. You will see threads here that "My WIFI lost performance when I used my bluetooth headset". It can happen. Most WIFI devices use 5Ghz today. It has higher bandwidth than 2.4Ghz. But your neighbor's WIFI can interfere just like bluetooth.
Jan 17, 2022
The 2.4ghz band can theoretically support and infinite number of devices. But once you get over a certain number of connected and active devices the service starts to fall apart and this leads to slow or no connections.

My previous router was a 2.4GHz router (no 5GHz band). When I use to connect my bluetooth and wifi, wifi would essentially stop working.

How is it working here ?

OrlyP

Reputable
Aug 20, 2020
That's a loaded question. As with any frequencies on the RF band, 2.4GHz is chopped up into smaller chunks and each chunk can be further shared with multiple devices. Standards were developed so there's always order in the chaos. The most common set of rules in this context is the IEEE 802.11 protocols. This is where things like WiFi and Bluetooth coexistence mechanisms are defined, among many many others.

2.4ghz is a band, there are many channels. As long as they're operating at different channels and channel widths don't overlap. You should be fine.

canales_2.4GHz-1.png

kanewolf

Titan

How is it working here ?
Bluetooth can interfere with some devices WIFI. You will see threads here that "My WIFI lost performance when I used my bluetooth headset". It can happen. Most WIFI devices use 5Ghz today. It has higher bandwidth than 2.4Ghz. But your neighbor's WIFI can interfere just like bluetooth.

Solution
I don't think you can set the bluetooth channels. Last time I looked at this bluetooth was using 2mhz wide channels over the same 2.4 radio band and it changes the channel it uses almost constantly try to avoid interference. It can change multiple times per second. I forget how it keeps this synced between the 2 devices.

What ever it is doing seem to work pretty well to avoid getting stomped on by wifi on 2.4g.