[SOLVED] How can a 144Hz gaming monitor cause massive GPU coil whine?

Mar 29, 2022
Hi guys, I need your expertise and ideas please:

I built a new computer recently (Intel Core i7-12700K, MSI Z690 Carbon motherboard, BeQuiet Dark Power 12 850W PSU, Kingston Fury Beast 32GB DDR5 RAM, ASUS ROG Strix Geforce RTX 2060) and had massive GPU coil whine when playing games right from the start (although the graphics card was the only component that I actually did NOT change but kept from my old computer). Limiting the FPS helped a little bit, but not much.

It took me several weeks now to figure out the source of the problem:

After changing basically every single component with a completely different model (ASUS to MSI, Seasonic to BeQuiet, Corsair to Kingston etc.) I found out yesterday that it's apparently my LG 144Hz gaming monitor which causes my GPU to whine like a banshee in some games...

I double checked this - and indeed:

When I connect my new computer to my wife's monitor (LG 75Hz gaming monitor), my GPU is completely silent and there is no coil whine at all.
On the other hand, when I connect my monitor to my wife's computer, her graphics card is silent as well.

So somehow this must be an issue with my LG 34UC79G-B monitor and any specific component in my computer.
I would rule out the graphics card, because I used it with that exact monitor for several years without any issues.

I discussed this with a friend of mine and he pointed out that my new mainboard (basically all that I tried, because I swapped mainboards several times ^^) has PCIe 5.0, while my old computer (and my wife's PC) only have PCIe 3.0.

Could that maybe have something to do with the issue that I am experiencing here?

As a workaround, my wife and me will simply switch our displays now, so she will get my 144Hz monitor and I will get her 75Hz monitor in return.

But since I am a very curious person, I would like to investigate and understand the reason for this issue nonetheless.

Solution
Do you run FreeSync or G-Sync. That will limit the FPS output to that of the monitor.

Plug the 144hz monitor back in, set it to run at 60hz or 75hz and see if the problem goes away.

GPU coil whine can be directly attributed to power output, and the more FPS you are delivering, the harder it has to work.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Do you run FreeSync or G-Sync. That will limit the FPS output to that of the monitor.

Plug the 144hz monitor back in, set it to run at 60hz or 75hz and see if the problem goes away.

GPU coil whine can be directly attributed to power output, and the more FPS you are delivering, the harder it has to work.

Solution