How can I access my PC remotely without any installs on the host?

MoonriseWarrior

Reputable
Apr 7, 2014
Hi, I'm going to need to access and control my home PC at school soon. My school does not allow access to the terminal or any installs, so I'm going to need something which is free and web based. I was thinking IP addresses, but I don't know how to do that (I'll try it after I post this thread, but it probably won't work). Just in case you were going to suggest chrome remote desktop - I tried it, it doesn't work for me for some reason... Cheers, MW.

P.S Sorry if this is the wrong section, it seemed like the most appropriate one...

Solution
http://www.onlinevnc.com/

Download the free server and then you can go in right from this website.

You can't just go in through your IP address. Windows RDP can be done through your IP address, first you'd need to have remote desktop on your home PC, and you would need to open port 3389 on your router firewall, then you can use Remote Desktop on the school PC to connect using your ISP's provided IP address.

For OnlineVNC above you will need to open a port on your router as well, for it to work. 3389 is as good as any,

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
http://www.onlinevnc.com/

Download the free server and then you can go in right from this website.

You can't just go in through your IP address. Windows RDP can be done through your IP address, first you'd need to have remote desktop on your home PC, and you would need to open port 3389 on your router firewall, then you can use Remote Desktop on the school PC to connect using your ISP's provided IP address.

For OnlineVNC above you will need to open a port on your router as well, for it to work. 3389 is as good as any,

Solution

You aren't going to do it without some kind of install. If you want a feature that you don't have - you have to install that feature? ;)

RDP is the best (but heroically insecure) option, it has by far the best experience and is rock-solid. But it isn't installed by default on home versions of Windows. Does need port-forwarding (and some security to make that non-world port forwarding too!) on your router to get it running.

Next up for me would be VNC server / client. Neither need installing that I remember, they are both executables that don't affect the registry.

After that join.me is pretty good, it's a tiny install for the host, but has the worst experience of the three (image quality on low-speed connections is not that great, can crash now and again).

TRENDING THREADS