[SOLVED] How Can I Achieve 120 Hz Again? It stopped.

Kirbyarm

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2013
Long story short I've been using my Samsung RU8000 4k smart TV for quite some time as my primary gaming monitor for PC at 1440p (2560x1440) @ 120 Hz.

Today was a spring cleaning day of sorts for me, I shut it down, powered it off, dusted and PC filters, fans and components, wiped the screens and all that jazz.

Hooked it all back up and now windows is refusing to let me choose anything other than 59 Hz or 60Hz refresh rate..

I've been fiddling with the TV settings for hours as well as display settings on the PC and I just can't for the life of me get this to work again.

Picture looks perfect the way I had it before - emulating near-perfect visuals indistinguishable from my 144hz 24" monitor. Everything looks good except this cursed 60 fps cap with ultra input lag.

Any experts have any ideas for me?

Solution

To get the best picture settings, you should first enable Input Signal Plus. This helps improve the picture quality for colors next to each other on the screen.

Another form of image processing. Did latency improve with it on or off? Usually input latency improves the less processing there is. Ie, game mode turns a lot of this off.

Kirbyarm

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2013
So I got frustrated just now and just started toggling all settings on my TV like a maniac... I don't know what Input Signal Plus is but enabling that on the HDMI 1 source seemed to do the trick... Looks great, feels fast without input lag. What a strange TV.

Kirbyarm

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2013
To put it into perspective I use 3 monitors connected to my 1080 Ti. Primary is Samsung RU8000 1440p@120. Secondary which was my primary is an Asus 24" 1080p@144. Third is an even older Asus 24" 1080p@60.

I don't really watch TV so for this unit to start only working at 60 Hz would make it a brick for me, so I was getting quite upset.

I hate that it looks like my statement of working on it for hours looks like hogwash now since I found the solution while panicking just a few minutes after caving in to ask for help here.. Welp. Can't take it back now.

---

What is Input Signal Plus and why did it instantly resolve the issue? Anyone care to elaborate the technical behaviour of this so I can better understand?

boju

Titan
Ambassador

To get the best picture settings, you should first enable Input Signal Plus. This helps improve the picture quality for colors next to each other on the screen.

Another form of image processing. Did latency improve with it on or off? Usually input latency improves the less processing there is. Ie, game mode turns a lot of this off.

Solution

Kirbyarm

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2013
It literally went from somewhere around 150ms input lag 1440p@60 to that true 120 hz experience. Any form of latency completely eliminated.. like this mode is some happy accident. Game mode is and has always been off (aside from testing to see if that would get me 120 hz at various points).

This is very strange behaviour and I was not expecting such for my first ever non-CRTV (modern flatscreen TV).