How can I adjust corectly the SPD timing and reach 200MHz

dragosgorjan

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2006
I have 2X512 GeIL Dual(CL25-4-4DDR400) PC3200(200MHz)..and they are working at 133.8 MHz. with SPD timing at 3-4-4-15-4
When I try other SPD combination like 2-3-3-5 etc its entering windows but after 2 min or when I'trying other aplication its having restart..over and over until I'm entering bios,adjusting once again the timings to default.
My MB(Asus P5GD1) its have a AI overcloking with an option to grow the voltage of the RAM and the Frequency..I did some changes selecting much higher voltage but still the same problem.

Advance Chipset Settings looks like this
Config DRAM Timing by SPD [disable] (in this mode i can adjust the timing)
DRAM CAS# Latency(tCL) 3 [2.0;2,5;3]
DRAM RAS# Precharge(tRP) 4 [2;3;5]
DRAM RAS# to CAS# Delay(tRCD) 4 [2;4;5]
DRAM RAS# Activate to Precharge(tRAP) 15 [1;2;3....;15]
DRAM Write Recovery timing(tWR) 4 [2;3;5]
This ist the default timing
I try different combination in most of them windows its restarting after few min. and none of them didn't reach the 200MHz."Cpuz" its telling me the right frequency and the combination for 200MHz but its still not working.

How can I raise the frequency and adjust the timing in the way its compatible with the system and having better performance.
I want the RAM to work at 200MHz but I don't find the right timing or the system its not compatible.
With "rmma" like"Cpuz" its give me the option to adjust the timing from there not from BIOS(it is safe to use this option?).

Sorry for my bad english. With respect Gorjan Dragos

Tattysnuc

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2005
Hmmm. Bit trcky try to work out what you're saying.

If you clear the bios defaults, and do "Load optisised defaults" the memory should detect as DDR400, and set the FSB to 200 MHz automatically. This should also set the RAM to run at SPD values.

Check what the stock voltage you need for the memory is, and set that in the bios

I would then DISABLE the AI - automatic overclocking. This should free up the System bus frequency so that you can set the frequency at which the FSB runs. Select your speed if you want something, other than 200, and then you can start playing with the memory timings to get that little bit more performance.

The memory timings appear to have a negigible effect, compared to the frequency which it is running at. OK, you can get 10% more in some applications by getting the timings right, but your should get the basics set up and working first, namely the system bus.

Tattysnuc

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2005
Hmmm. Bit trcky try to work out what you're saying.

If you clear the bios defaults, and do "Load optisised defaults" the memory should detect as DDR400, and set the FSB to 200 MHz automatically. This should also set the RAM to run at SPD values.

Check what the stock voltage you need for the memory is, and set that in the bios

I would then DISABLE the AI - automatic overclocking. This should free up the System bus frequency so that you can set the frequency at which the FSB runs. Select your speed if you want something, other than 200, and then you can start playing with the memory timings to get that little bit more performance.

The memory timings appear to have a negigible effect, compared to the frequency which it is running at. OK, you can get 10% more in some applications by getting the timings right, but your should get the basics set up and working first, namely the system bus.

dragosgorjan

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2006
I put all the option to default,with AI NOS desactivated..and still i have 133.8MHz..The BUS it is full or the memory its damage?
The processor bus is 533 and the MB 533-800..

hazmat

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2005
Sounds like you have a processor that runs at 533 FSB, in which case your ram, although rated at 200, will run at 133 to maintain the 1:1 FSB:RAM ratio. There wont be any point in running the ram faster than the fsb.

The good news is you have a good deal of headroom for overclocking your processor before you hit a memory limit.

As for the memory timings thing, it should run at the default 2.5-4-4-8(?)

dragosgorjan

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2006
Conclusion:

I put my RAM in to another system (ABIT AN7; AMD Barton 333MHz with FSB 166MHz , Bus Speed 333MHz..and it works at 200MHz with 5:6 ratio.

Why in my system it functioning in 133.81MHz ratio 1:1. and in another system its working with 200MHz and 5:6 ratio???

The problem is the multiplicator of my processor or my MB??

In my system it will never work a dual chanell RAM with the speed of 200MHz?A system with MB FSB 533-800MHz an Processor FSB 533MHz.

Somebody can tell me WHY I can't change the ration from 1:1 to 5:6??
Or this is not the sollution?!

"In my system it will never work a dual chanell RAM with the speed of 200MHz?A system with MB FSB 533-800MHz an Processor FSB 533MHz.
"

The older P4 DDR boards were designed around 266/333 DDR speeds,i.e., 133 and 166 MHz DDR...

Merely inserting PC3200 mem will not mean the mem freq will necessarily run at that freq....

There is prob nothing wrong with the system, I'd just use "Auto-SPD" and optimized defaults....

dragosgorjan

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2006
I tried out a lot of combination from BIOS with default without default and in any option the frequency of the RAM it was 133.81MHz
I belive that the RAM FSB is in a default mode from fabrication, BIOS can't detect the speed of the RAM because is not set to do this or the setting its not active...I wait an answer from ASUS to iluminate the problem.

"I belive that the RAM FSB is in a default mode from fabrication, BIOS can't detect the speed of the RAM because is not set to do this or the setting its not active...I wait an answer from ASUS to iluminate the problem."

ALthough a modern mb, you are running an older 533 Mhz FSB processor, and the mainboard/BIOS may not allow higher base mem freq than 133 with 533 Mhz FSB processors...may be limited to 133 MHz DDR, 266 MHz effective...

200 MHz DDR was designed around the 800 MHz FSB processors....

In short...

THERE MAY BE NOTHING WRONG that simply replacing the exisiting processor with an 800 MHz FSB model (really 200!) won't cure....; in reality, a 2.4/800 is nearly as fast as a 3.06/533 in most benchamrks anyway...