[SOLVED] How can I backup my entire C drive to the backup drive?

ScreperisLT

Reputable
Feb 12, 2020
Hello, I want to backup my entire C drive to the external backup drive, but I can't find a solution on how to do that. I cannot just copy the entire C drive to the External Disk, because of TrustedInstaller. I also can't use any cloning software, because it erases everything from the external drive. I have other important files there, so I do not want it to be formatted. I just want to add more backup files from the C drive to the External Drive, without the need of searching for them on my entire C drive manually. Is there any way to get my entire C Drive to the Backup Drive, without erasing the existing files on the Backup Drive?

Solution
I cannot just copy the entire C drive to the External Disk, because of TrustedInstaller. I also can't use any cloning software, because it erases everything from the external drive.
That seems to me you've completely misunderstood how disk imaging works.

What you should want to do is to create (clone system drive into) a disk image of your system drive - that is the disk image behaves just like any other file on your drive, exept it takes up quite some space. No need to format your external hdd.

Other members on this forum will probably recommend using macrium reflect, and personally I'm used to Clonezilla. The latter is tool that works offline, that is it boot up as its own OS so that windows doesn't interfers with the...
I cannot just copy the entire C drive to the External Disk, because of TrustedInstaller. I also can't use any cloning software, because it erases everything from the external drive.
That seems to me you've completely misunderstood how disk imaging works.

What you should want to do is to create (clone system drive into) a disk image of your system drive - that is the disk image behaves just like any other file on your drive, exept it takes up quite some space. No need to format your external hdd.

Other members on this forum will probably recommend using macrium reflect, and personally I'm used to Clonezilla. The latter is tool that works offline, that is it boot up as its own OS so that windows doesn't interfers with the cloning process.

I have other important files there, so I do not want it to be formatted.
So be sure you have backup of those files.

Solution
How much space is used on your C drive?
Is your C drive a ssd, or is it a HDD?

One option is to buy a ssd of suitable size and clone your C drive to it.
In the event of a C drive failure, just install the cloned backup.
If your C drive is a HDD, this is a good way to speed up your pc.
The clone process leaves the source unchanged.

This may be a good time to evaluate your backup objective and options.