[SOLVED] How can I bin my 5600x?

GameCrucnh

Commendable
Sep 24, 2020
I was wondering if I can see how much I won the silicone lottery on my CPU without buying anything else.

I tried looking up but I couldn't see any guides. Would it just be through trial and error of overclocking or is there a definitive way to check out.

Solution
I was wondering if I can see how much I won the silicone lottery on my CPU without buying anything else.

I tried looking up but I couldn't see any guides. Would it just be through trial and error of overclocking or is there a definitive way to check out.

Clock Tuner for Ryzen...it will test and give you a binning rateing of your CPU (gold, silver, bronze). Unless it's been changed it won't give you a bin rating for the MCU though, but that's much less important as the purpose of 'bin rating' like that is for per-CCD or per-CCX overclocking.

You can also find out the relative performance of each CPU core with HWInfo64: in the Core N Clock section it...

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant

There's no magic solution other than testing.

These are aggressively binned CPUs, as most CPUs are these days, so you're not likely to have much variability on the low side of a product stack. Not that it isn't a solid CPU of course, but AMD would have much preferred to sell your 5600X as a more expensive CPU.

GameCrucnh

Commendable
Sep 24, 2020
Alright then, I hear people talking about "I got a silver bin" and stuff like that, I was wondering what determines that. Is it just like a chart people compare what there overclock got to?

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
Alright then, I hear people talking about "I got a silver bin" and stuff like that, I was wondering what determines that. Is it just like a chart people compare what there overclock got to?

There are some charts and stuff. Silicon Lottery, which sells binned CPUs, keeps a chart, for example.

https://siliconlottery.com/pages/statistics

99% of the time, people are just using adjectives. Just the other day, I was complaining that there were a crapload of spiders in my garage. There was definitely no chart I referred to in order to determine whether it was a crapload, a buttload, or a whole lot of spiders!

Reactions: Exploding PSU
More chance of undervolting a 5600x than actually overclocking it.

They're so aggressively clocked out of the factory there's barely going to be any headroom and what there is isn't worthwhile performance wise.

Undervolting at least gets you better efficiency and lower temps.that said a decent 120mm + cooler will get you decent temps anyway.

I personally think the days of the golden binned chips and big overclocks are done and dusted now.

Reactions: hotaru.hino

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Clock Tuner is to 5000 series cpus what Dram Calculator was to 3000 series cpus. There's always a way to tweak a little more out of any cpu, it all depends on the cpu as to exactly how much that is.

My 3570k would not hold stable OC at 4.4GHz, when most ppl were hitting 4.5-4.7GHz. Definitely came from a 'lead' binned batch. My 3770k would hit 5.0GHz at 1.42v, and was happy at 4.9GHz at 1.32v, definitely a Golden batch, when most were hitting 4.8-4.9GHz at 1.4v. But I could just as easily call them the doggy-doo bin or epic bin.

A 'Silver' bin to me just means it did pretty good, maybe slightly above the average in CB or timespy tests at any slightly lower voltage than others.

It's probably going to be more interesting to see how high you can tune the FCLK since these Ryzen 5000s already clock themselves so high automatically. The 5800x I put in my wife's rig a few weeks ago is hitting 4.95GHz core bursts with just default motherboard settings.

jtk2515

Distinguished
It's probably going to be more interesting to see how high you can tune the FCLK since these Ryzen 5000s already clock themselves so high automatically. The 5800x I put in my wife's rig a few weeks ago is hitting 4.95GHz core bursts with just default motherboard settings.

I was using 14-14-14-34 4x8gb and used the same timing on my 5600x@4.75GHZ Allcore: 3200 1:1 3400 1:1 3600 1:1. I didnt see much improvement in my R23 score around 50-150 points. 20-20-20-34 @ 3200mhz 1:1 got me ~11500 and 3600mhz 1:1 14-14-14-34 for me 12194. Maybe with some Bios updates we will see better scores with higher fclk or maybe my motherboard is just Garbage. I will try AIDA later and see if i'm getting some performance increase

I would like to test it someday but I think you will get greater improvement with a 16 core. Maybe I will test it in a year or 2 when I get a 5900xt if they come out and are available. These CPU's are getting so powerful Nowadays.

Last edited:

Clock Tuner for Ryzen...it will test and give you a binning rateing of your CPU (gold, silver, bronze). Unless it's been changed it won't give you a bin rating for the MCU though, but that's much less important as the purpose of 'bin rating' like that is for per-CCD or per-CCX overclocking.

You can also find out the relative performance of each CPU core with HWInfo64: in the Core N Clock section it shows both the CPU and the scheduler's ranking order.

Solution
You can send your 5600X to silicon lottery.
For $40, they will delid the processor and in the testing process provide you a bin assessment.
https://siliconlottery.com/collections/all
If you are into overclocking, that would tell you how high you might go.

But, why bother??
Ryzen bins it's chips and the better ones will be used in higher performing products that can sell for more.
You are unlikely to have anything better than average.
Not much you can do bout it anyway.
I suppose there might be some satisfaction in being able to tout a good bin.
OTOH, if your chip was less than a stellar performer, how would you feel?

TRENDING THREADS