[SOLVED] How Can i boot from another Drive without accessing the BIOS

Jan 19, 2021
Hey Everyone,
I got a weird situation, when i bought my laptop Acer N5, i upgraded the Storage by adding another 250SSD, and asked to make that as my boot and my main drive obviously for fast performance. Right now my laptop screen is broken, and i'm only using an external Monitor, and suddenly after sometime while i was playing some games, my laptop just restarted by itself, by my desktop looked different, and some games or applications that i have installed, when i launch them, it's like the first time i ll launch that application, all my saved logins are wiped out, asking for updates that i already made, and my laptop just looking as a mess, after investigation i realized that my HDD has become the main drive for my laptop, as well how slow the boot become, so i did check my SSD and the health of the devices looks 100% normal, i've been attempting to restart my laptop thousand of times, but nothing happened. my laptop looks like it was reset but all the storage is the same, nothing was deleted. right now i'm not sure from where the problem is coming from exactly, but my guess is that the computer is booting on a different drive and making the main drive. now the other issue is that i can't access the bios since my laptop screen is broken, so i 'm really hoping to check if there is a way i can make my laptop looks how i had it before, and making the SSD as my main drive without accessing the BIOS, Any suggestions ?

Solution
f8 on start-up loads the boot menu. this will list any drives there that can be booted.

and then remove r format that second drive so it does not happen again. no reason to have 2 bootable drives if you're not gonna use them both,
Jan 19, 2021
if you don't use the hdd. unplug the hdd
Yes i'm thinking of that option, i m using hdd for storage, it s now 80% full, i can unplug it and start my pc to see if it will really boot on my SSD, but the solution is not working for me on the long run, that's where all my most games and videos are being stored,

Jan 19, 2021
f8 on start-up loads the boot menu. this will list any drives there that can be booted.

and then remove r format that second drive so it does not happen again. no reason to have 2 bootable drives if you're not gonna use them both,
yep, my life would be so much easier, if i can access the boot menu, but since i m pnly using an external, monitor, it will not display, the bios, only "the welcome" part,

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
yep, my life would be so much easier, if i can access the boot menu, but since i m pnly using an external, monitor, it will not display, the bios, only "the welcome" part,

that sucks. i don't know any way to fix that. as soon as you turn it on start hitting f8 and see if by any chance it displays on the monitor for you. it probably won't but worth a shot anyway.

if it seems to hang for a minute, then it could be showing that menu but you can't see it. press enter and see what happens. never know which drive will be top the list. if it goes to old hdd, then restart, try it again but arrow down once before hitting enter.

you'll be flying blind, but eventually you might get the right one running. you don't have to format the whole drive to stop it from booting. once you gt into it from either drive, you can delete the system partition at the front of the drive and the it won't be able to boot again. be sure it is the right drive though as you'll make that one unable to boot!!

the data will still be there and usable but it won't be able to boot anymore for that drive. that's about the best i can offer until you fix that screen

Reactions: Hamzashi
Jan 19, 2021
that sucks. i don't know any way to fix that. as soon as you turn it on start hitting f8 and see if by any chance it displays on the monitor for you. it probably won't but worth a shot anyway.

if it seems to hang for a minute, then it could be showing that menu but you can't see it. press enter and see what happens. never know which drive will be top the list. if it goes to old hdd, then restart, try it again but arrow down once before hitting enter.

you'll be flying blind, but eventually you might get the right one running. you don't have to format the whole drive to stop it from booting. once you gt into it from either drive, you can delete the system partition at the front of the drive and the it won't be able to boot again. be sure it is the right drive though as you'll make that one unable to boot!!

the data will still be there and usable but it won't be able to boot anymore for that drive. that's about the best i can offer until you fix that screen
I like that, i was watching videos from youtube trying to blindly copy there keyboard command and i ll foloow blindly hihihi, this is a good suggestion and believe me i ll definitely give it a try ^^ Cheers. i ll update if successful, if you don't here from me, then know it's a failure and something happened without me even knowing it :p lol