Question How can I change my settings to get my RAM to run at the rated speed?

kjm782

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2008
System specs:
ASRock B550 Steel Legend motherboard (updated with the latest BIOS)
AMD 5950x CPU
128gb G.Skill DDR4-3600 CL16 memory (https://www.newegg.com/g-skill-128gb-288-pin-ddr4-sdram/p/N82E16820374058?Item=N82E16820374058)

If I enable XMP in the BIOS, the computer fails to boot and gives the error code 92, which means something is wrong with the PCIe. At that point I have to use the jumper to clear the CMOS so that I can get back into the BIOS. I have tried manually bumping up the frequency and can get to 3200mhz, any higher than that and I run into problems.

I realize that this memory isn't specifically listed as supported but I don't see many 32gb DIMMs on their supported list since I assume most people don't need that much memory so it isn't a higher priority for ASRock to test. G.Skill says that it works with the ASRock x570 boards so maybe I should have bought one of those. I didn't want the extra fan that comes with it and I figured the B550 chipset was similar enough that it wouldn't matter.

I'm wondering if there is another setting that I need to adjust to possibly get this to work? When I increase the frequency beyond 3200, does that throw off something else in the system that prevents the PCIe from working? I know that memory frequency affects the Infinity Fabric so maybe that has something to do with it? The only settings that I have changed are the memory frequency and the DRAM voltage which I set to 1.45v. Any help would be appreciated.

manually set them to 3200Mhz 16-18-18-38 and see if they will run. The QVL lists a set of G.Skill 8x32GB kit that runs at those speeds. Theres only a handfull of kits that are on the QVL at 4000Mhz and only 1 kit that runs at 3600Mhz 32gb stick. You might be stuck with 3200Mhz on that board with that large of stick.

kjm782

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2008
Thanks, I tried that and it wouldn't run with those timings.

I also tried getting a new board: ASUS x570 TUF Gaming Pro Wifi

The QVL list for the motherboard doesn't show my specific RAM but on the G.Skill web site it lists that motherboard with Ryzen 5000 series processors as compatible. https://gskill.com/qvl/165/299/1601285198/F4-3600C16Q-128GTRS-Qvl

I thought this would fix it but no luck, it behaves exactly the same and won't go above 3200mhz. I made sure to update to the latest BIOS first. Does this mean that my memory is bad? Memtest didn't find any problems with it running at 3200mhz. Any thoughts? Thanks

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Not many OEMs manufacture 3600MHz or higher ram, it's mostly Samsung, a few SkHynix. So there's realistically not much point in testing the same ram over and over just because it's got a different heatsink on the outside.

You shouldn't need 1.45v on the Dram to get 3600MHz, 1.36v is generally more than enough, xmp settings is 1.35v.

Is the cpu running stock? Or do you have any OC applied, locked cores, set voltages etc.

Check the SoC voltage, it should be running 1.1-1.2v

kjm782

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2008
The CPU is running stock, I haven't made any adjustments to it to overclock.

The SoC voltage was at 1.0v so I bumped it up to 1.1 but it still is not working.

From what I am reading online, other people are having the same problem and it seems to be related to AMD, not the motherboard or ram. I might just have to wait for a BIOS update/AGESA update to fix it.

MonsterMaxx

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2015
I am having the same problem with some:
CORSAIR Vengeance RGB Pro 128GB (4 x 32GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 3600 (PC4 28800) Desktop Memory Model CMW128GX4M4D3600C18 in an Intel box.
It's got an Asus Maximus XI and a 9900k.

Will not run at 3600mhz. It will run at 3333.

Corsair is jerking me around. They want me to do 4 days of Memtext86 on single sticks before they will help me in anyway.

I was considering dumping the Corsiar and getting some G.Skill in 4000mhz. But now I'm wondering.

Contact your support channel. I'm very interested in knowing how they handle this situation. Corsair is handling it very badly so far.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
The premise 'All ram is created equally' is true. But by the same premise, 'All ram is created equally' is false. The missing part of that premise being 'out of what' since the silicon used is not all the same, it has different properties and impurities inherent in its manufacture.

XMP is a general setting that covers 99% of ram, and to some degree, the memory controller in the cpu. But if the memory controller is on the weak side (got nothing to do with the motherboard) it might require additional tweaks to get it to function under an OC condition. And anything above factory IS (OC), as stated by any spec.

So while XMP, whether set or manual should be good enough, that's not always the case. For Intels you may need to either bump up dram voltage (in 0.1v stages) and or VCCIO and or VCCSA, which is the memory controller and system agent voltages.

Auto settings can, and often do, set those too low for OC conditions.

kjm782

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2008
G.Skill tech support told me to try increasing the SoC voltage and then also to try one stick at a time and see if I can get any of them to run at the rated speed. I've tried increasing the SoC voltage and am afraid to push it too much further. I've tried 2 sticks at a time with no success but I haven't tried one yet (although I was under the impression that the RAM needs to be in pairs in order to reach the top speeds, but that might be wrong).

I'm starting to think there is nothing I can do and I just have to wait for an updated BIOS. It's irritating that I'd paid extra money for faster RAM and can't take advantage of it. Newegg won't accept it as a defective return even though it doesn't run at the promised speeds. They are going to charge me a restocking fee which will negate any savings that I would get by exchanging it for a cheaper kit.