How can I change the priority to be permanent? In win7/8?

kfarris

Honorable
Oct 1, 2012
How can I change the priority to be permanent? In win7/8 Or change it to when the application starts it auto changes it to real-time? Is it possible to make an API to do that? Or maybe edit the registry files? Or perhaps its already a setting in services? I really need to know if there is a way or if at least its possible... Maybe like making a Band-Aid for it with Java? C++, etc?

kfarris

Honorable
Oct 1, 2012
Hmm...
Well it's not really what I was looking for as they just talk about it and how to save the priority in windows vista and beyond... I know there has to be a way to do it in 7 and 8. Because I am able to do it in vista and xp... I just got to figure out what they changed in 7 from vista. I know they removed a lot of junk/bloat from vista but they still kept a bit of it in 7. I just need to know what they changed with the task manager... If I could get a vista ISO... Then I would be able to figure out what I need to add/modify 7 and 8 to be able to save a priority setting...But I cannot seem to find a vista iso...found many 7 and 8 iso's, But sadly no vista...

kfarris

Honorable
Oct 1, 2012
Well you see sir, I need to set multiple applications or programs if you will....to a different priority setting... When I launch my browser or game or note pad it runs it automatically as normal or below... I want it to run real time in my games....so the cpu is using all 4 cores instead of 1 or 2....and to do that I half to change it every-time I relaunch said game, etc... So I would like windows to save that priority that I set it to. If I want to dedicate one or 2 cores only for that game then I can do it and it'll remember. But sadly it does not remember and I half to change it every-time....but In xp and vista I can do a registry hack to save it and add a folder location to where the saved priority's are...but in 7 and 8 it doesn't work...

kalten

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2008
OK...now that I understand what you are attempting...I will tell you not to! :)

You may ask why at this point, and that would be a good question! :)

The answer is fairly simple, but has more complicated explanations behind it which I will not go into!: ) (many :) in this post already!)

OK:
Don;t mess with your priorty allocation.
Windows (XP and up) is clever enough to assign it's priorty based on user input.
In your example of browser, game and notepad you can only input commands to one of them at a time (possibly two if you have multiple input devices, multiple screens and an extra pair of hands) (you don't have extra hands do you? If you do...can you give me a pic...that would be a first for me!) :)

When you have a game full screen (heck, even if it's not full screen with modern games) it will actively set it's processor affinity to the maximum the game's programmers have given it.
If you are a WoW player, you might remember back a few years when Blizzard upped the support of WoW to include a full i7's 8 cores and gave us the ability to manually change the number of cores, and indeed which cores we wanted to use (I always chose physical core 1,2 and 3) (note: not core 0 - I wanted that core free for windows to 'own)
I also didn't use the hyperthreaded cores as they were not needed.

When I loaded my WoW setup for multiboxing on a single machine I simply chose a core for each install of WoW.

This is a good example of what you are trying to achieve I believe.

It should also show that you are barking up the wrong tree for what you are trying to achieve.

If you want to have better priorty you change the affintiy of the CPU cores for the application (if the application has the ability to have this done) (and yes, windows can do this to some extent, though I've not played with it in Windows 8!)

Now for why you don't change the priorty:
An example:
Game A is loaded and running in 'real-time' (which it is basiclly trying to ignore anyway) and your browser is loaded in the background.
You have a download going on when suddenly the PC is attacked by a virus.
At this point your AV tries to kick in and can't because you have assigned 'real-time' to another application and the AV can't break that process....hello little virus...welcome to my game, now if the virus is a good one, and by good I mean pure evil!, it will hijack the active process, infect it and then propogate using the active process' priorty....

That is an EXTREME case and not entirely accurate, but highlights the possibility that could befall you.

Let me know if any of that made any form of sense at all.

kfarris

Honorable
Oct 1, 2012
Hmm well....
Windows ai is well sucks....so manually doing it is better.....
And not all games auto do that....
And second I need to limit the amount of ram a few games can use....
Minecraft for example will eat up all my ram if I let it.....the server anyway....
When I game I usually have a a server running on my pc....at times i have multiple servers going....I have 64gig of ram and only 4 cores...
I do a lot of multitasking....
I do not use a antivirus application windows defender is default with a pc and that's it...I use a firewall on my router that is highly adv....I use a diff firmware too....
So viruses are not an issue on my network...
The things I do on my pc require me to change the priority's as needed....but would like them to be saved for when I need to relaunch the program...

Yes it all made perfect sense but for example when watching something on you tube, or netflix...etc
In hd 1080p it will sometimes pause and half to continue loading or buffering if you prefer.....well if i set the priority of my browser to realtime it stays at a nonstop constant stream uninterrupted...
Now maybe you can see what I am getting at...
Of course I wouldn't change the priority of the note pad that's stupid...?
I was merely using it as an example...

kalten

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2008
I see waht you want to do, but would deabte that 'Windows sucks' comment....the Windows Kernal is actually really good at intelligent switching.

However...if you are running a server on your machine as well as either gaming or browsing you will run into trouble, no matter the spec of your rig.

I would recommend not running a server as a rule of thumb, at least not on the rig you want to actually use.

Good news on the AV front, I like the MS AV myself...it simply works! :)

I would still avoid changing the priority on any process and unfortunately am not sure how you can make it happen in Windows 8 the way you want it to.

I will take a look for you, but I don't have W8 at work, so it will have to be later when I am at home.

kfarris

Honorable
Oct 1, 2012
Nvm I figured out how to save most of the priorities for win7
Had to hack away at it a bit tho...:( Oh well. :p

However win8 I have no idea still.....oh well win7 will be my main os again....
Thanks for your time...

jackmeat

Honorable
Aug 25, 2013

Hey, kfarris, you said you figured out how to do it, but not the "how" part. I also want to have powerdvd to always use "high" priority, not "normal" but don't want to have to change it everytime i open a movie. having 6 cores doesn't help much if they aren't used at all, and with movies these days I would like to utilize as much as possible to keep it from jittering during action sequences, etc. would appreciate knowing how you got it to save to that setting, since it is a pain manually doing it everytime. thanx.

kfarris

Honorable
Oct 1, 2012
Hey, kfarris, you said you figured out how to do it, but not the "how" part. I also want to have powerdvd to always use "high" priority, not "normal" but don't want to have to change it everytime i open a movie. having 6 cores doesn't help much if they aren't used at all, and with movies these days I would like to utilize as much as possible to keep it from jittering during action sequences, etc. would appreciate knowing how you got it to save to that setting, since it is a pain manually doing it everytime. thanx.

[/quotemsg]

It depends on your OS that you are running and if its a 32bit or 64bit os...
Eventually I was able to find a program that did pretty much what I did in the registry. So you should try this http://www.prnwatch.com/prio_x64_200_2960.exe <Operating Systems: Windows 7 (64 bit), Windows Vista (64 bit), Windows XP

http://www.prnwatch.com/prio_win32_200_2960.exe <Windows 2000, Windows 7 (32 bit), Windows Vista (32 bit), Windows XP

Copy/past the link in your URL if you cant click it...and it will auto download for you. When installing just make sure both are checked and it would be a good idea to reboot first before opening task manager and right clicking to change priority. It will save whatever you set it too...

Fernan82

Honorable
Nov 14, 2013

That doesn't make sense. The problem with your logic is that in order to hijack the active process the virus needs to successfully attack the kernel to run on kernel mode, otherwise it won't be able to access another process' space since they're protected by hardware protection since Windows 95. Now if the virus did hijack the kernel it is already has the highest possible priority so it doesn't need to hijack the active process.

LeftieLouie

Reputable
Jul 12, 2014
Check out this post. I was able to create a batch file (.BAT) with all the priorities that I want to set. I do this because I like processes like Dropbox, and Apple crap like iTunes, iCloud, and all the other crap Apple adds to windows to run at low priority. I can't NOT run them but I don't need them to compete on an even footing while I (me, the User, the guy who is supposed to get priority) is actively doing real work.

http://superuser.com/questions/620724/changing-windows-process-priority-via-command-line

dabbz

Reputable
Sep 3, 2014
I suggest you google "Process Lasso"

Colin_27

Commendable
Aug 24, 2016

Hey man I just signed up here to thank you Process Lasso is just what I have been looking for, Perfect, Thank you.