[SOLVED] How can I check if my GPU is getting enough power?

philipmasters17

Reputable
Sep 7, 2018
Full specs:

- Radeon RX 590 GPU

- Intel i5-8400 CPU @ 2.8GHz

- 2x 8GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance RAM

- Motherboard MPG Z390 Gaming Carbon

- Corsair TX550M PSU

I've posted quite a lot on here recently about the fact that my GPU fans don't seem to spin anymore. Even when changing clock speed and fan speed with MSI Afterburner, my GPU gets to about 91 degrees when playing video games and then my PC shuts off and the fans never spin. I've tried using on-board HDMI but my PC would turn on very briefly and then turn off again so I assumed it was my PSU.

I got this Power Supply Tester:

View: https://imgur.com/axvg00y

When I have my 24-pin motherboard cable and 8-pin CPU cable plugged in I get these results:

-12V: 12.2

+12V2: 12.0

5VSB: 5.0

PG: 350ms

+5V: 5.0

+12V1: 12.0

+3.3V: 3.3
But this just seems to test the 8-pin CPU and 24-pin cable. How do I actually test if my GPU is getting enough power?

Solution
Sorry, bit of a stupid question but if I can't find the box/original online order how can I check the exact make/model? The make is MSI
Look at the card power connectors.
A normal r9-590 needs a 6 and an 8 pin power connector.
The highly overclocked units will need two 8 pin connectors.
You would have to look at the card and see if the fan connector is physically plugged in. Then I would first uninstall MSI afterburner and see if that fixes the issue. If not, the fans or some part of the card may be faulty. The fans don't need much power at all and this doesn't seem like a power issue.

You could RMA or warranty claim the GPU with the manufacturer if the above doesnt help.

philipmasters17

Reputable
Sep 7, 2018
You would have to look at the card and see if the fan connector is physically plugged in. Then I would first uninstall MSI afterburner and see if that fixes the issue. If not, the fans or some part of the card may be faulty. The fans don't need much power at all and this doesn't seem like a power issue.

You could RMA or warranty claim the GPU with the manufacturer if the above doesnt help.
OK, I'll try this, thank you very much!

philipmasters17

Reputable
Sep 7, 2018
If a graphics card does not get sufficient power, one symptom would be display artifacts.

Your psu tester is good only to confirm a dead psu.
It says nothing about the proper operation of the psu.

Your R9-590 is a power hungry card.
550w may not do it.
http://www.realhardtechx.com/index_archivos/Page362.htm
Oh OK, this is different from people saying it's my GPU. I have neither on warranty and a good GPU/PSU is quite costly, are there any further tests I can do?

Oh OK, this is different from people saying it's my GPU. I have neither on warranty and a good GPU/PSU is quite costly, are there any further tests I can do?
91c. seems hot.
Try taking the case covers off and direct a house fan at the innards.
If that does the job, look to case cooling solutions.
What is the make/model of your R9 590?
Some are factory overclocked and will use more power than normal.

philipmasters17

Reputable
Sep 7, 2018
91c. seems hot.
Try taking the case covers off and direct a house fan at the innards.
If that does the job, look to case cooling solutions.
What is the make/model of your R9 590?
Some are factory overclocked and will use more power than normal.
Sorry, bit of a stupid question but if I can't find the box/original online order how can I check the exact make/model? The make is MSI

philipmasters17

Reputable
Sep 7, 2018

I was wondering, I couldn't see that the fans were unconnected, however, given the fact that if I try to use an on-board HDMI presumably this is more to do with my PSU than my GPU?