how can i check if my northbridge chip is working properly

Dirtydonk

Honorable
Sep 23, 2013
I'm having trouble playing games without them crashing even on low settings,I've done alot of looking around for answers to my problem and i think I've isolated the problem to be an underpowered graphic card.But one of my friends also suggested it could be a problem with my Northbridge chip,So im wondering if theres any software out there (preferably free) that could help me to check if my northbridge chip is in working order.

Many thanks for your help.

My Specs:

Mobo: Gigabyte 78 lmt-usb3
Cpu: Amd 6300 fx Overclocked to 4000mhz
Gpu: Evga Gtx 650 ti boost not overclocked
Psu: Tesla atx switching power supply 500w

Solution
You cannot do that. Let me start from saying that it is highly unlikely that something is wrong with the northbridge.

Northbridge performs a lot of functions, so only way to test the chip, would be to test them all. Let's have a look at motherboard diagram:
2a0ds3m.jpg

As you can see AMD760G is a chip designed to perform IO operations. It serves as PCI-E bus controller - 'talks' to PCI-E devices, USB controllers and LAN. It is also responsible for outputting video signal to motherboard ports. It communicates with CPU and SB.
Using known working components (and how can you be sure that they are 100% working?) you theoretically could test all northbridge functions. But, there is a slight problem. How can you...

Bejusek

Distinguished
You cannot do that. Let me start from saying that it is highly unlikely that something is wrong with the northbridge.

Northbridge performs a lot of functions, so only way to test the chip, would be to test them all. Let's have a look at motherboard diagram:
2a0ds3m.jpg

As you can see AMD760G is a chip designed to perform IO operations. It serves as PCI-E bus controller - 'talks' to PCI-E devices, USB controllers and LAN. It is also responsible for outputting video signal to motherboard ports. It communicates with CPU and SB.
Using known working components (and how can you be sure that they are 100% working?) you theoretically could test all northbridge functions. But, there is a slight problem. How can you make sure that every possible signal combination was processed by this chip? You can't! If you can't generate all possible signal values on chip input, you can't reliably confirm that it is working properly.

Solution

Dirtydonk

Honorable
Sep 23, 2013

Dirtydonk

Honorable
Sep 23, 2013
Ok so theres not a convenient way to check if its in order but are there tell tale signs i can look out for that might indicate northbridge problems,ive done a windows index experience check and my subscore is 5.9 due to a poor windows desktop performance for windows aero and a poor score for my hard drive,another forum suggested that if the score was below 2.0 this could indicate northbridge problems,but like ive shown mine isnt below 2.0 so im wondering if theres any signs to look out for.

Bejusek

Distinguished
What the other forum says is true, because, as you can see from the diagram, the northbridge is a crucial part of your motherboard. If there is a problem with it, all communications going through mainboard is affected and performance is greatly reduced - thus a very low windows index score is to be expected.

What are your hard drive and aero scores?
Also, what make and model is your PSU? Is it Fractal Design Tesla R2?

Dirtydonk

Honorable
Sep 23, 2013
My windows experience index:

Processor: 7.4
Memory RAM: 7.5
Graphics Aero: 5.9
Graphics Gaming: 7.8
Primary HD: 5.9

Im not sure what my PSU im using at the moment is apart from its a tesla atx 500w but thats being changed as soon as the delivery comes with my new psu which will be,

New psu: CX750M Internal power supply ATX 12v 2.3/EPS 12v 2.91-80 plus bronze AC100-240v-750w Active PFC

I probably didnt need to add the full description of the PSU but better safe than sorry.

Dirtydonk

Honorable
Sep 23, 2013
The Psu in your link is similar not exactly the same but i wouldnt be surprised if my PSU is as cheap and nasty as that one.

Hopefully my new PSU will solve some of the issues im having but ive got a feeling that im going to need to swap MOBOs eventually as i realise the Gigabyte 78-lmt-usb3 is only a cheap £30 board.

Thanks for your help BEJUSEK i appreciate you taking the time to reply and advise me.

abhijitmaity5

Prominent
Sep 23, 2017
Desktop computer contains two main chips on motherboard. These two chips are called chip set. Chip near the processor socket is called North Bridge or Graphics and Memory controller HUB(GMCH) or System controller Hub. North Bridge mainly does processing and Display related job.If there is a no-disply problem in the motherboard, north bridge may be faulty. But other faulty components can cause the same problem. So, how do you confirm that north bridge is faulty?
http://jyotshna.com/confirm-north-bridgegmch-desktop-motherboard-faultyfull-tutorial-step-step/