How can I clone a partition to a folder on another drive?

awesomeian

Reputable
Jul 29, 2015
Hi, I am creating a backup partition for all of my old files because I am upgrading my pc. I would like to just copy my windows 10 installation to a folder on another drive rather than sorting through all of the data. I need to clone windows 10 into a folder on a drive. I have tried things like xcopy, but keep running into problems with permissions. What is the best way to do this?

Solution
Apologies: you would be cloning to another partition.

I just did not take "folder" literally even though you did state "folder".

However, a backup partition is a partition. Not a folder. Clone partitions.

You could put an image in a folder but then you need to have the recovery CD/USB to bring things back. (Open "image this disk" in Macrium and you can chose a folder.

Ralston18

Titan
Look into Macrium Reflect. Free for home use.

EaseUS ToDo may also serve.

Google "Drive Partition Cloning" and you will find a variety of choices.

However, be careful as many sites may try to trick you into downloading something else. Once you identify a product (such as the two above) Go directly to the manufacturer's website.

Even then be cautious. Read carefully before clicking any downloads and watch the installation carefully. The installation process will probably attempt to install other things, change your browser, or otherwise do something you may not want to have done or happen.

For the most part Macrium Reflect has worked well for me.

awesomeian

Reputable
Jul 29, 2015

How do I use Macrium Reflect to clone the partition to a folder on another drive? I only see the option to clone it to another drive, not a folder on the drive.

Ralston18

Titan
Apologies: you would be cloning to another partition.

I just did not take "folder" literally even though you did state "folder".

However, a backup partition is a partition. Not a folder. Clone partitions.

You could put an image in a folder but then you need to have the recovery CD/USB to bring things back. (Open "image this disk" in Macrium and you can chose a folder.

Solution