Question How can I confirm my graphics card is gone/faulty ?

Mar 4, 2019
Recently, my Windows 10 stopped getting into multi-boot menu. Starting it in safe mode works fine. Also, uninstalling graphics driver seems to work. But, if I re-install it, the display changes and the same issue comes up with next boot. I also checked some references and made sure that heating is not an issue. I've plugged in 3 cabinet fans and also it's in cool environment. My guess now is that the graphics card is gone.
Question is - how can I make sure of it ?
a) I don't have another computer.
b) I don't have another monitor.

Please suggest

Mar 4, 2019
Right after the windows boot logo, where the video adapter kicks in, there's blank screen.
This doesn't happen if I use integrated graphics. The boot works fine.

Mar 4, 2019
Then everything works fine. But as soon as I connect to internet, the latest drivers are downloaded and next boot doesn't show up.

BTW, shouldn't it be the case that to avail Graphics processing, we've to install particular GPU drivers ?

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
Then everything works fine. But as soon as I connect to internet, the latest drivers are downloaded and next boot doesn't show up.

BTW, shouldn't it be the case that to avail Graphics processing, we've to install particular GPU drivers ?

It should be, I'm just asking for test purposes. Have you tried downloading the last crimson driver from AMD and installing that?

https://www.amd.com/en/support/graphics/amd-radeon-hd/ati-radeon-hd-5000-series/ati-radeon-hd-5450

That should stay and work.

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
I'm thinking the latest windows update may have broken support for that hardware. Its likely the card is fine. That said it doesn't help you much, even if you prevented windows from loading a driver, the driver you have doesn't work either.

Sorry but it may be time for a replacement for something newer.

Mar 4, 2019
okay. Thanks for taking time and answering my question in detail. I'll try to connect a friend's monitor or run a GPU test at boot as a last option. Let me reply here if any of that gets me success. Later, tomorrow.

Mar 4, 2019
I'm thinking the latest windows update may have broken support for that hardware. Its likely the card is fine. That said it doesn't help you much, even if you prevented windows from loading a driver, the driver you have doesn't work either.

Sorry but it may be time for a replacement for something newer.

Just found out that AMD has marked 5450 as legacy and not supporting after that. Time to buy a new one.