How can I connect a computer to a modem far away?

lucasfoxramos

Prominent
Jan 13, 2018
Hey guys.

I'm just finishing building my gaming pc in the next couple months and obviously I'm gonna need an Internet connection for the computer.

The problem is my computer is in my room and the modem is in the lounge, I was thinking on buying a WiFi adapter for my desktop but I'm not sure if I'll get a good connection with it. I also thought about getting some powerline adapters but I just have one wall power plug on my room. Any ideas are welcome.

Thanks guys

Solution

This depends on your house. Either WiFi or powerline.
Either way, you'll have to have some connection.

Saturnity

Reputable
Jan 11, 2017

High ping? Not entirely. Wifi isnt that bad. Like I said above I have a 5 dollar USB wifi adapter when my modem is far away with many walls inbetween. It may increase your ping like 10 compared to ethernet, but no its not that bad. I get good ping in many servers

Best ping I could get on WiFi was in the 60's in most games. I switched to powerline adapters and now get 20-30's in most games. I also know someone who also had good success. It must depend on how good the WiFi performance is you are starting from but I halved my ping.

USAFRet

Titan

This depends on your house. Either WiFi or powerline.
Either way, you'll have to have some connection.

Solution

Saturnity

Reputable
Jan 11, 2017

Jeez 60? I get 10 ping from servers in Cali, Utah, New York, Nevada, New Mexico, all around my state basically, and out of that it starts getting into 20-30s, guess my internet is just really good.