How can I connect a Netgear wifi/router WNDR4500 to an Arris/Motorola Surfboard 6782-AC cable modem/wifi/router

fred_b

Prominent
Nov 27, 2017
Background:
I have an Arris Surfboard wifi/router modem 6782AC which I used with my Comcast service. Everything works fine apart from the wifi signal which doesn't penetrate all of the major rooms in my home. Before opting for an Eero mesh network or similar I'd like to try connecting a spare Netgear WNDR4500v3 wifii/router to the Surfboard to see if this improves the wifi coverage.

Questions:
(1) Is this a viable approach to try to improve wifi coverage
(2) do I connect an ethernet port from the Surfboard to the "Internet" port on the Netgear box
(3) what other adjustments do I have to make e.g. turn off wifi radio on the Surfboard box, etc.

Thanks for any help.

Solution

Okay, so you will need to hook both gateway (modem/router combo)...

jdcranke07

Honorable

Okay, so you will need to hook both gateway (modem/router combo) devices up. The first will hook-up to the coaxial cable coming out of the wall and the 2nd will hook-up to the 1st by ethernet (CAT5E or later cable). You will need to enter the GUI for each device and set the 1st to router mode and the 2nd to access point (AP) mode. If the 2nd modem doesn't turn off or causes problems, you can see if your Internet Service Provider (ISP) can bridge the two devices, if they haven't already with your initial internet setup. Keep in mind, I haven't actually set up two gateways in the same network, but that is what you would do for gateway>router or modem>router>router setups. There is a wireless method, but if you are having signal issues, then it would be a moot point to even attempt wifi bridging.

Making sure your wifi antennas are not near metal or concrete in the walls and not near speakers like sound system subwoofers also helps. Keep in mind, "N" band signal is stronger than "AC", but it is shorter on range. The exact opposite is for "AC", it is weaker, but goes further. DO NOT PUT WIFI ROUTERS IN THE BASEMENT. Just in case you had one and put it there. Lol.

Solution