How can i connect my Asus router and a have home phone?

Cglass

Reputable
Jun 18, 2017
I currently have a Asus RT-5300 router and i am wondering how could i set it up to also work with my home phone? Currently my modem/router Telstra gave me when i got Australian NBN is constantly losing connection and wont work properly with the Asus router. Ive bought a VDSL2/ADSL2+ splitter and still no luck i cant figure out where i should be putting it. My telstra modem/router is a technicolor TG797 v3

Cglass

Reputable
Jun 18, 2017
I’m sorry but i don’t really know what plugs they are they are about half the size of the basic Ethernet port. I would like to if possible bypass using the modem/router technicolor tg797 v3 if possible that’s why I got the splitter but the ports on it seem to big to be compatible with the nbn box and the router

Most probably you cannot move your phone off ISP-provided box, unless you forgo it completely and sign up for third-party VoiP service. I don't know what you expected to achieve with this "VDSL splitter", but on DSL, there is a strict rule that one physical phone line supports max one DSL modem.

You have to work out with your ISP why the modem they provided loses connection in the first place. Rarely the problem is in the equipment. Check that you don't have other phones connected to the same phone line.

Cglass

Reputable
Jun 18, 2017
Is there any other modem that can do the same thing as this one but is just a modem so it doesn’t interfere with the router because currently if I try and run both of them at the same time i have a strict Nat on everything and I read up something g like because both of them are trying to put out a wan ip and it messes things up allot

Cglass

Reputable
Jun 18, 2017
I currently am on the Australia NBN wich I thought was vdsl2 but the wired nbn has a different box on the wall that you connect your modem or router to wich also has 2 phone ports on it. However I’m on fixed wireless wich is a dish on my house and comes with a different box inside it has no phone ports just 4 default modem ports to connect your modem or router to. The ASUS rt-ac5300 works perfectly fine when
directly connected to the nbn box on the wall however it can’t run a phone on it unless there is something in between that is able to give the router internet but also allow the home phone to work too.