[SOLVED] How can I control Drive letters assignments

cemster

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2012
I tried all kinds of formulas to phrase the search in Google but I couldn't get too close...
Hence I am here now... :)

So I have about a dozen drives in my win 10 system. And sometimes I need to swap them to get clones or images or what not.

The problem I have is even when I put back the drives with the same cablings they still get different drive letters... So I keep changing, swapping the letters every time to get back to how they were before... It is a workstation so it is important that they are assigned to specific letters in order for me to keep my workflow...

So the question is is there any way I can assign drive letters permanently no matter what, of course unless I change them again.

I am really tired of reassigning 12 drives everytime I swap drives back and forth.
There must be a way to prevent that... I am hoping...

Solution
"So the question is is there any way I can assign drive letters permanently no matter what, of course unless I change them again."

Interesting problem ... how are your programing skills? A macro should do it.

You could put a small file (could even be empty) with a unique name in the root directory of each HD.

Then ... the macro could Search for the 1st unique file name ... if it finds it, it could assign the drive letter you want to the HD containing that file then
Repeat for the other file names ... end of macro ... save to an executable file and the job will be done with one button push! Should work lol.

I might try this later if I get some time.
May 9, 2015
The OS will always automatically assign a drive letter to a new drive once the System sees it by default. If you keep removing and reinstalling the drives, than the system will always assign the next available letter by default! You cannot get around this, so the best to do is stop removing the drives. You may consider connecting your drives to an external media via USB or another method while working with them.

May 9, 2015
The Operating Systems were designed to assign drive letters by default. There is no way to get around it.

"So the question is is there any way I can assign drive letters permanently no matter what, of course unless I change them again."

Interesting problem ... how are your programing skills? A macro should do it.

You could put a small file (could even be empty) with a unique name in the root directory of each HD.

Then ... the macro could Search for the 1st unique file name ... if it finds it, it could assign the drive letter you want to the HD containing that file then
Repeat for the other file names ... end of macro ... save to an executable file and the job will be done with one button push! Should work lol.

I might try this later if I get some time.

Solution
May 9, 2015

How are my programming skills? I do not know programming at all.

TRENDING THREADS