[SOLVED] how can I cool my motherboard mcp

liso4ka lol

Prominent
Apr 25, 2019
I have a asrock m3n78d fx that runs really hot at 78C iv been wondering if there is some way to change the thermal paste or is it a thermal pad and if I do change it with what thermal pad should I ?

Solution
Pointed sheet metal screws work best, Not the self tapping kind unless the heatsink has a flat surface under the hole in the fan. If it's fins under the holes just use pointed screws, they'll be harder than the soft aluminium, so cut their own threads naturally.

Measure the heatsink. First. Get the appropriate size fan. It does not need to be tight to the heatsink, you can even use stand-offs under it (that actually improves the cooling by removing the fan motor housing as a blockage).

Depending on exactly what's under the heatsink will determine what to get. If the heatsink is screwed down its pad or paste. If no screws, it's double-sided sticky pad or tape. If there's multiple chips under the heatsink, it'll be a pad as the...
If you feel comfortable removing the heat-sink from the MCP then yes I would replace the thermal paste/pad. I know Arctic and Thermal Grizzly both make good pads and if it is paste any reputable brand would be good.

You could also try and increase airflow to your case or even rig up a way to position a case fan to blow across the motherboard.

I have a asrock m3n78d fx that runs really hot at 78C iv been wondering if there is some way to change the thermal paste or is it a thermal pad and if I do change it with what thermal pad should I ?
That is passively cooled heatsink. Stick a fan on it - some 40mm or 60mm.

Those old Nvidia AM3 chipsets run really hot and quite often die because of insufficient cooling. They definitely are not meant to be passively cooled.

What is the make/model of your case?
Does it have sufficient front air intake capability to cool your cpu, graphics card and motherboard?
Take the case covers off and direct a house fan at the innards.
If that helps much, look to case cooling solutions.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Pointed sheet metal screws work best, Not the self tapping kind unless the heatsink has a flat surface under the hole in the fan. If it's fins under the holes just use pointed screws, they'll be harder than the soft aluminium, so cut their own threads naturally.

Measure the heatsink. First. Get the appropriate size fan. It does not need to be tight to the heatsink, you can even use stand-offs under it (that actually improves the cooling by removing the fan motor housing as a blockage).

Depending on exactly what's under the heatsink will determine what to get. If the heatsink is screwed down its pad or paste. If no screws, it's double-sided sticky pad or tape. If there's multiple chips under the heatsink, it'll be a pad as the chips will be different thicknesses, if it's a single chip like the cpu, it could be either.

You'll not know til you pull the heatsink off, VERY carefully. Break the solder joints and you may as well replace the mobo.

Solution

liso4ka lol

Prominent
Apr 25, 2019
my case is AeroCool Cylon PRO RGB I have 2 fans in the front blowing in 1 in back blowing backwards and 1 on top blowing out all fans are 120mm and I have had the same mcp heat problem for the past 2 years come to think of it I plan on switching to ryzen in the next 2 months and installing a custom fan seems kinda too risky for me I think I will just suck it up and not risk damage on the mobo so I can sell my mobo and cpu when I buy a ryzen
also just wondering if my mcp is running too hot like currently what are the effects it has on my pc do I lose performance ?