How can I disable my router's WiFi?

XtrGamer123

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2013
While gaming online, I want to connect my laptop to my router via an Ethernet cable and switch off the Wi-Fi so none of my bandwidth is wasted bouncing off walls. For some reason, I am unable to find the option in NETGEAR genie, there is no option to disable wifi radio below the option to disable SSID, there is however the option to enable wifi isolation (which is supposedly very rare). Could it be a problem with my router? (a very basic one, iBall Baton 150M)

There is an added complication, I live in a duplex flat and the satellite dish is upstairs, connected to a main router, which is connected to a wifi modem-thingy (it has two antennae) via Ethernet which somehow sends the signal downstairs, which is picked up by my router (my laptop is downstairs) and which is what I use for gaming. So basically there are two Wifi connections that show up, one for the upper floor and for the bottom, but I have only one internet plan.

By disabling Wifi (if I can manage this) will it prevent the connection reaching from top to bottom?

If I haven't explained this properly, please ask me for additional details. I do not know the difference between modem and router, if there is one.

Solution

If they are unused they will not be using the wifi and phones generally do not use much internet unless someone is actually on them loading youtube videos or something.

price_th

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2012
First, you won't find you can PC game using Satellite. There is a 7 sec. delay for signs from earth to satellite. Real time gaming wont work. Second, disabling WIFI wont do anything to improve bandwidth if no one is using it. Forgetting your first issue, QOS is how you want to deal with bandwidth issue when others are online.

XtrGamer123

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2013

There are several mobile devices belonging to others all of which have the wifi password, very often they are lying around unused but I cannot access them to switch off their wifi. This way would be much neater.

XtrGamer123

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2013

I have been playing real time action games like Counter-Strike: Global Offensive and Team Fortress 2, very often under 100 or even 50 ping. Perhaps we are not talking about the same thing, all I know is there is a dish like thing installed on my upper balcony.

There are several devices lying around that have their wifi switched on and I cannot switch all of them off (they're not mine). If I can switch off radio for short periods of time, it would be great.

If they are unused they will not be using the wifi and phones generally do not use much internet unless someone is actually on them loading youtube videos or something.

Solution

XtrGamer123

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2013

That is, indeed, what they are doing. I want to forcefully stop them from doing this, without their knowledge, since it's only for a short time. Is it possible?