How can I erase everything off my HDD and do a clean Win10 install on a brand new SSD?

Leptender

Reputable
Jan 18, 2015
Since I bought Windows 10 and a new SSD I would like to know how I can delete everything on my old HDD (like I bought a brand new one).I would like to install Win10 on my SSD but the problem is Win7 is on my HDD so I would like to erase everything off of my HDD so I can just install the OS on my SSD and put programs,music,pictures etc. on my HDD.Thank you for any answers!:)

Solution
put the ssd in and take out the hdd for now.

install win 10 to the ssd like normal and get it running. once it is, then install the hdd again and boot up.

win 7 won't boot now and is just data so type "disk management" into cortana search. now simply delete all partitions from the drive and create one new one, format the hdd's new partition. it is now empty and ready for you to use for your data :)

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
put the ssd in and take out the hdd for now.

install win 10 to the ssd like normal and get it running. once it is, then install the hdd again and boot up.

win 7 won't boot now and is just data so type "disk management" into cortana search. now simply delete all partitions from the drive and create one new one, format the hdd's new partition. it is now empty and ready for you to use for your data :)

Solution

USAFRet

Titan

1. Where did your Win 10 come from? An Upgrade from something else, or a license you purchased?
2. For how to manage space between the two drives, see thiss
Win 8.1 & 10: http://www.tomshardware.com/faq/id-2024314/windows-redirecting-folders-drives.html

Leptender

Reputable
Jan 18, 2015

Purchased license yes.I got Win7 from the internet so its not licensed and cant get the free win10.

USAFRet

Titan

OK, so as above.
Disconnect all other drives except the new SSD
Install Win 10.
When ready, reconnect the old HDD, and wipe it. Not just format that C partition....wipe ALL partitions on it.

Leptender

Reputable
Jan 18, 2015

Reconnect the HDD while the PCs still on or should I turn off the PC and then reconnect it?

USAFRet

Titan

WHEN IT IS OFF!!!
Just like any other part of the PC.

Leptender

Reputable
Jan 18, 2015

Alright,but one more question.Should I install the motherboard drivers and GPU drivers in the SSD or the HDD?

Leptender

Reputable
Jan 18, 2015

Ok,thanks a lot!