[SOLVED] How can I establish an initial BlueTooth connection ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaleBr

Honorable
Feb 25, 2016
How can I initially setup an RPi 4 via Bluetooth when I haven’t yet established a BT connection for mouse and keyboard ? Page 4, Step 5, of the Quick-Start manual tells you to do this before powering it up.

My keyboard and mouse are BT and don’t require dongles. They are completely wireless from the RPi 4. So, how do I pair the mouse and keyboard to the RPi before applying power to it ?

This is the order in the Quick-Start manual ... Page 4, Step 5. Add the mouse and keyboard before powering it up.

Last edited:

OldSurferDude

Reputable
May 18, 2019
When I bring up a new RPi, I have a KVM (keyboard, video, mouse) that I use until I have the network, then, VNC up and running. I VNC into it to do all of the other operations.

Another option would be to get a Bluetooth to usb device (very expensive) or create one of your own with an Arduino with Bluetooth module and software. I only know of the latter theoretically, and to me seems excessively complicated.

Again theoretically, one could put a script on the noob SD card. This script would have to know about your specific Bluetooth devices. I rather like this idea. Perhaps the folks at RPi could allow for a text file on the noob SD card that contains a very basic configuration so the RPi could configure itself unattended. Would one need to personalize more than the VNC configuration? All the rest could be done over VNC.

DaleBr

Honorable
Feb 25, 2016
But, I am trying to setup an RPi 4 for the first time, and don’t have a wired keyboard and mouse. The QuickStart Guide says to connect these to the RPi 4 before connecting the power cord to the RPi 4, and powering it up.

Example: there is no wired connection with the keyboard. It’s totally a BT connection. I can control my iPhone with it via BT !

DaleBr

Honorable
Feb 25, 2016
When I bring up a new RPi, I have a KVM (keyboard, video, mouse) that I use until I have the network, then, VNC up and running. I VNC into it to do all of the other operations.

Another option would be to get a Bluetooth to usb device (very expensive) or create one of your own with an Arduino with Bluetooth module and software. I only know of the latter theoretically, and to me seems excessively complicated.

Again theoretically, one could put a script on the noob SD card. This script would have to know about your specific Bluetooth devices. I rather like this idea. Perhaps the folks at RPi could allow for a text file on the noob SD card that contains a very basic configuration so the RPi could configure itself unattended. Would one need to personalize more than the VNC configuration? All the rest could be done over VNC.

I did not understand most of your reply. I am a newbie to the RPi.
But, thanks !

Status
Not open for further replies.