How can I find out the model number and specs for my motherboard?

kir13y

Reputable
Jul 21, 2014
I have an Alienware Aurora R4 (I bought it second hand at a very good price IM NOT A NOOB, I have built a computer before). There doesn't seem to be any barcodes on it that I can see. Does anyone know if all Aurora R4s have the same motherboard and if they do, if it supports SLI?

Thanks!

Solution
I did hear somewhere that the r4 has a good psu, so you can try sli on that. If its unstable, you already have a spare psu to put in.

Just in case you didn't know, the gtx 750ti isn't sli compatible. tbh, I would forget sli and go for a single gtx 970/980/980ti. 2-way SLI has its problems. SLI is normally for the top end gpus, where theres no other choice. You'll see gtx 980tis and titans in sli more often than gtx 950s.
http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-2326512/bad-sli.html

theunliked

Reputable
Dec 3, 2014
Open up the case and look on the motherboard. It should say the brand and model number. Google should turn up with the brands website.

Look on the motherboard and see how many pci-e slots there are. If theres 2 or more, it supports SLI. The main problem here is that most prebuilt pcs use crappy psus to cut costs. I'm going to assume that you have and the previous owner hasn't upgraded the psu. SLI will require much more power. What psu model do you have?

kir13y

Reputable
Jul 21, 2014

I actually was able to find the motherboard with this console command: wmic baseboard get product,Manufacturer,version,serialnumber. Here is a link to the specs about it that I could find. It is the alienware 07jnh0. So it looks like its got two x16 slots which I currently have a gtx 750ti (main monitor) & 480 (sides). So do you think that this can prob handle SLI?

About the PSU... I tried to figure out what exactly it was but I couldn't get any info. It has some plastic stuff around it so it might be a pain to get out. -_- I do have an EVGA supernova 850W G2 that I could potentially swap out if need be. The only problem is the contacts for the RGB case lights (the blue things). Images (Imgur). As you can see, the PSU has special mounting holes for them.

Thanks for the help so far!

theunliked

Reputable
Dec 3, 2014
I did hear somewhere that the r4 has a good psu, so you can try sli on that. If its unstable, you already have a spare psu to put in.

Just in case you didn't know, the gtx 750ti isn't sli compatible. tbh, I would forget sli and go for a single gtx 970/980/980ti. 2-way SLI has its problems. SLI is normally for the top end gpus, where theres no other choice. You'll see gtx 980tis and titans in sli more often than gtx 950s.
http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-2326512/bad-sli.html

Solution