Question How can I find out which SATA ports my currently installed hard drives are using ?

Jul 12, 2022
How can I find out which SATA ports my current hard drives are using without going into bios or opening up computer?
I seem to be having problems with my 3 hard drives and my 2 M.2 SSDs.
Motherboard is: Z390 AORUS PRO WIFI

Thanks

Probably won't help you, but.
Open up device manager and find the disk drives category, it will list all your disks, double click on a drive and go to the details tab, there click on the property selector that currently says Device description and change that to location information it will tell you the bus number which is the same as the port number.

I seem to be having problems with my 3 hard drives and my 2 M.2 SSDs.
It would help, if you could tell, what problems exactly you are experiencing.
Also list model names of your M.2 drives.
Because sata ports behave differently depending on installed M.2 drives being nvme or sata.

Anyway - sata ports SATA3_0, SATA3_2 and SATA3_3 should be available regardless of used M.2 drives.
SATA3_4 and SATA3_5 would be unavailable for sure.
SATA3_1 would be available, if M2A slot has NVME drive in it, and unavailable, if M2A has sata drive in it.

Jul 12, 2022
Probably won't help you, but.
Open up device manager and find the disk drives category, it will list all your disks, double click on a drive and go to the details tab, there click on the property selector that currently says Device description and change that to location information it will tell you the bus number which is the same as the port number.

Bus Number 0, Target Id 3, UN 0
Bus Number 0, Target Id 0, UN 0
Bus Number 0, Target Id 5, UN 0
Bus Number 0, Target Id 2, UN 0
Am I right in saying then that each one of the drives listed here the Target Id is the SATA port number?

Thanks

Open up the case and look at where the sata cables are connected to the motherboard.
Your user manual will have a diagram as to where each sata port is located.
When I have multiple sata drives, I like to use different colored cables to help identification.

Jul 12, 2022
It would help, if you could tell, what problems exactly you are experiencing.
Also list model names of your M.2 drives.
Because sata ports behave differently depending on installed M.2 drives being nvme or sata.

Anyway - sata ports SATA3_0, SATA3_2 and SATA3_3 should be available regardless of used M.2 drives.
SATA3_4 and SATA3_5 would be unavailable for sure.
SATA3_1 would be available, if M2A slot has NVME drive in it, and unavailable, if M2A has sata drive in it.
I am trying to install a second M2 P3 Plus PCle 4.0 NVMe M.2SSD
When I install it I loose a hard drive (one of three hard drives installed)