Question How can I find the right battery for my laptop if I need to replace it?

Rodion15

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2011
I sometimes replace batteries in laptops. I wonder if anyone may suggest how to find the right battery, so that I don't end up ordering the wrong one from ebay or other third-party suppliers (as original parts are usually expensive, if at all available, although I know originals are much better). Is there any site listing how to find the part number etc for different laptop brands? I've checked Batteryuniversity and other sites but couldn't find anything good.

What I'm looking for is some guide that says something like "for HP bateries, look for a label starting with PN-30..." or similar.

Any help much appreciated.

Gamefreaknet

Commendable
Mar 29, 2022
Personally I used this for my Alienware M17 (HWinfo) which gave me motherboard details for my PC.
(Dell) Alienware had a site for spares and parts so searching the motherboard details + parts should bring up a HP parts site for your model.
Some of this is by assumption HP have a site like that like Dell

Rodion15

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2011
Personally I used this for my Alienware M17 (HWinfo) which gave me motherboard details for my PC.
(Dell) Alienware had a site for spares and parts so searching the motherboard details + parts should bring up a HP parts site for your model.
Some of this is by assumption HP have a site like that like Dell
Thanks, that's useful!
I use HWinfo all the time. Thanks again.