[SOLVED] How can I find what app on my iPhone is accessing a web site ?

loonsailor

Reputable
Nov 21, 2018
My ISP web site is getting hammered by something on my home network. By running tcpdump on my router I've traced it to my iPhone of all places, but I don't know how to find out what app is doing it. Unfortunately there are LOTS of apps on my phone. I know the socket number from tcpdump but how can I figure out which app is doing it?

Solution
You rub the iphone on your head and it magically tells you :)

This is why I hate apple products more than android. Both lock you out of seeing important stuff, it seems it would hurt the brains of stupid users who have to know anything technical.

It all depends if you can find a APP that will display resources being used by other applications similar to the resource manager in windows. It all depends on what the phone os allows software to access.

If your router supports tcpdump, which is kinda impressive, it like also allows you to block traffic. Block the port and see what breaks. Maybe the ip address on the internet will also give you a clue. Unfortunately you see many ip going to hosting centers so it does not always help
You rub the iphone on your head and it magically tells you :)

This is why I hate apple products more than android. Both lock you out of seeing important stuff, it seems it would hurt the brains of stupid users who have to know anything technical.

It all depends if you can find a APP that will display resources being used by other applications similar to the resource manager in windows. It all depends on what the phone os allows software to access.

If your router supports tcpdump, which is kinda impressive, it like also allows you to block traffic. Block the port and see what breaks. Maybe the ip address on the internet will also give you a clue. Unfortunately you see many ip going to hosting centers so it does not always help

Solution
D

Deleted member 14196

And barring all of that if it doesn’t work just reset your phone to factory standard you can always download the apps that you want anyway later

If that were me I would reset my phone to factory standard because it looks like you’ve been infected with something. Nothing is supposed to do what you’re experiencing

loonsailor

Reputable
Nov 21, 2018
Turns out it was iOS mail! Something in the imap settings was causing wonky behavior. Fixed now (well, actually just turned off for a while).

BTW, I did get this useful reply on DSLreports forum:

Settings>Privacy>App Privacy Report. Scroll to the bottom and you will see all Website Network Activity. Tap a URL to see what app is accessing it and when.

Had it been an app, that would have been really helpful.

The router with tcpdump is a ubiquiti udm-p. I don't remember whether tcpdump was there when I bought it, or if I had to download it, but anyway it's there now and helpful. The router runs a linux variant, and I ssh into it to do anything like this.

Thanks for the help!