Question how can i fix a broken cpu cooler motherboard standoff

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 26, 2020
i bought a hp gaming prebuild and yesterday while i was gaming i heard a big clack like something broke and it was not the psu since it was still running so i turned it off and checked inside and one of the cpu cooler standoffs broke off and i don't know how to fix this since they dont sell the standoff backplate thingy how can i fix this ? View: https://imgur.com/a/3TG8ylL

gamer20088

Reputable
Jul 20, 2020
I also used to have this prebuilt before I built my own pc I would probably try to stick the metal piece back in the motherboard? Also if you cannot fix the problem the cooler has 3 more screws so you should be fine?

Jul 26, 2020
I also used to have this prebuilt before I built my own pc I would probably try to stick the metal piece back in the motherboard? Also if you cannot fix the problem the cooler has 3 more screws so you should be fine?
i tried running it on 3 screws but it instantly overheated and turned off. also how could i stick it back ? also , do you have your old computer? maybe you could sell me the standoff backplate?

gamer20088

Reputable
Jul 20, 2020
i tried running it on 3 screws but it instantly overheated and turned off. also how could i stick it back ? also , do you have your old computer? maybe you could sell me the standoff backplate?
Maybe you should try gluing it and by backplate do you mean motherboard the green thing? I could sell mine as I still have it

You need all 4 screws, otherwise, your cooler will not seat properly.

My suggestion is to drill out the broken off part.
Then, use a longish screw through the bottom of the motherboard up through the hold down sleeve and put a nut on it to tighten it down.

Jul 26, 2020
Absolutely, positively WRONG, and dangerous! All 4 hold downs are required for proper cooling. This is a situation where the cooler, along with all its hardware must be replaced before trying to run that system again.
i know. but as long
Absolutely, positively WRONG, and dangerous! All 4 hold downs are required for proper cooling. This is a situation where the cooler, along with all its hardware must be replaced before trying to run that system again.
i unscrewed the across screw for "even pressure" and now its running on just 2 screws but as long as i dont game on it its fine at 50 degrees max 81

Jul 26, 2020
You need all 4 screws, otherwise, your cooler will not seat properly.

My suggestion is to drill out the broken off part.
Then, use a longish screw through the bottom of the motherboard up through the hold down sleeve and put a nut on it to tighten it down.
i don't have the tools for that.

Status
Not open for further replies.