Question How can I fix Lag spikes on an Wireless wifi repeater routed into my PC?

Apr 9, 2019
My router is downstairs and my PC is upstairs so I'm using a US300 MSRM wireless repeater to make my computer have better ping, but over time, I have been getting a lot of ping spikes and just bad latency in general. It has consistently been above 3ms, with the occasional 200 ms ping spike. I've tried flushing my dns, restting it, Network reset, putting in other DNS, but I'm wondering if it's something to with my hardware. Could someone help me out?

Where did you place the repeater. It does no good to place it in your room. It will get the same crap signal that your pc used to get and then reset out another interfering signal.

Running a repeater actually increases the chance of getting a ping spike. You now have 2 radio signals that can be interfered with in addition the repeater itself transmits on the same radio channel and that can interfere.

A repeaters only real purpose is to extend the distance the signal goes in exchange you lose at least 1/2 your bandwidth and increase your over all ping time and take the chance of more ping spikes. It is one of those solution where you accept a poor quality wifi signal is better than no signal.

In general this does not have a huge impact on anything other than games and you should not be trying to play online game on wifi in the first place. Wifi is always susceptible to interference which causes he ping spikes.

Apr 9, 2019
Sorry I phrased my initial explanation wrong, I just meant to say that my repeater is a WiFi extender that plugs directly into my computer using an Ethernet cable, and should have up to 100 mbps if not more before.The device is supposed to take in the WiFi signal much like USB WiFi, but can be used to plug into a computer like plugging it directly into a router. The problem is that there's inconsistent upload and receive speeds, like send at 56 kbps while the receive is at 5.1 Mbps. The WiFi repeater worked well before a couple of weeks ago, although no new factors were introduced as far as I know.
The link to the hardware I use is here: https://www.amazon.com/300Mbps-Wireless-N-Extender-Repeater-Covering/dp/B07FMQ6256
I've tried some kinds of fixing the problem on my PC, but that hasn't seemed to effect it. Could it be something with my hardware?

It would have been simpler and cheaper to use a USB device I suspect.

There is not much you can set on wifi the government locked it down and most settings that you can do...like what channels etc are done on the router.

The main thing you want to do is set the device so it runs as a simple client-bridge. You do not want it doing the wifi repeater function since this is transmitting a second interfering signal that you are not using anyway.

After that it is the pretty standard try other radio channels on the router trick but it will likely make no difference. It does not appear this device functions on 5g band so you can not even try changing the band as a option.

Wifi spikes are just part of how wifi functions. It is mostly caused by interference from signals from outside your house. How well it works depends a lot on how many neighbors you have and how much they are using their wifi. Most times this is not even noticed by most applications. Only online games are affected a lot. There is not much you can really do this is one of those fundamental things on how wifi works that games do not tolerate. I would consider powerline units using the av2 technology if your issue is with games.