[SOLVED] How can I fix my laptop fans?

Dec 4, 2021
Hello, I have a MSI GT6TVR 6RE "Dominator Pro" gaming laptop.

A while back the fans stopped working so it was taken to a repair centre where they determined it needed new fans and replaced them which was apparently successful. I tried to use the laptop and the fans weren't working so I reluctantly sent it back to the repair centre.

This is where they told me that it couldnt be fixed because it is the motherboard thats the problem, not the fans, and they wont do motherboard repairs. They diagnosed the problem as "Fans are working, the drive to the fans is missing from the motherboard". Ive been advised it was the centre that messed it up but it cant be proven because of how motherboards are.. Im not well versed in any of it so I didnt understand. But either way they wont sort it.

Is there a way to add this drive, what is the drive and how do I do it? I have a friend who is handy with hardware of tech DIY just doesn't know how it operates otherwise so he should be able to do this repair for me if we can understand the issue. I know the drive is a hardware issue but Ive never heard of it as anything other than software.
To note I did install manual overrides like MSI Afterburner and Dragon Centre and more before I took it in but they were of no use.

Can I fix my problem, and how? Thank you.

Solution
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

If the fans don't operate normally when plugged into the motherboard(and that they were tried with other sets of fans that are known working), then yes you will need to replace the motherboard. Jerry rigging fans to motherboard would entail that they will run at full speed regardless of the load that you throw on the laptop and regardless of whether you like the noise of the fans or not. I've had a couple of clients who did bring laptops where the entire laptop was functional but the fans never worked when you wanted them to so they deiced to hard wire it to full speed...that's when it was the point of no return for the laptop and the motherboard in it...the only difference being that the laptop's...

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

If the fans don't operate normally when plugged into the motherboard(and that they were tried with other sets of fans that are known working), then yes you will need to replace the motherboard. Jerry rigging fans to motherboard would entail that they will run at full speed regardless of the load that you throw on the laptop and regardless of whether you like the noise of the fans or not. I've had a couple of clients who did bring laptops where the entire laptop was functional but the fans never worked when you wanted them to so they deiced to hard wire it to full speed...that's when it was the point of no return for the laptop and the motherboard in it...the only difference being that the laptop's internal were also butchered alongside the clients wallets(not by me but to smart fella they took it to).

What are you referring to as a drive ? Do you mean drivers? There can't be drivers for a fan, unless they're referring to the controller for the fan on the motherboard...? If so, your friend should know what to look for using a multimeter and FLIR camera as well as understanding where the power is being delivered to operate the fans on the motherboard.

Solution
Dec 4, 2021
Hey, thank you!

I'm happy with the fans working at full speed permanently. It's that or scrap the laptop entirely which I don't want to do because aside from the fans I've never had problems with it or playing games on it. How would I go about achieving that please? And the cheapest way to do it, if you don't mind?

Honestly, I'm not sure. I did repeatedly try to get clarification on what the issue was because I had never heard of it either and I know it wasn't any software drivers causing issues because all the drivers were updated and overrides were put in place but none worked. They just kept reitering the same thing: "the drive to the fans is missing from the motherboard" and how they can't fix that type of issue. So I myself can't offer any clarifications on what that meant exactly.