[SOLVED] How can I fix my USB ports/Drivers?

Jun 7, 2020
Hello! Not sure if this is exactly the right thread or whatever, but while I was trying to get my PC to recognize a game controller, I accidentally uninstalled the "intel(r) usb 3.0 extensible host controller - 1.0 (microsoft)" driver, and now have no ability to use my USB ports(and cannot use my keyboard/mouse) is their anyway to fix this aside from a fresh windows install/using PS/2? I don't have a backup drive somewhere else.

Solution
On another PC, download the Windows 10 media creation tool and use it to make a win 10 installer on USB

USB works, just not in windows.
need to set bios up to boot from USB, what PC do you have? I can help unless you know that already
we can try a few things from windows repair

System restore
boot from installer
on screen after languages, choose repair this pc, not install.
choose troubleshoot
choose advanced
Choose system restore
will need to logon
Hopefully you have a system restore point you can roll back to before your accident

Next choice you have is a reset.
Is there anything on C you want to save? resets sometimes fail so better to be safe - this shows how to copy info off now before you start

boot...

Colif

Win 11 Master
On another PC, download the Windows 10 media creation tool and use it to make a win 10 installer on USB

USB works, just not in windows.
need to set bios up to boot from USB, what PC do you have? I can help unless you know that already
we can try a few things from windows repair

System restore
boot from installer
choose troubleshoot
choose advanced
Choose system restore
will need to logon
Hopefully you have a system restore point you can roll back to before your accident

Next choice you have is a reset.
Is there anything on C you want to save? resets sometimes fail so better to be safe - this shows how to copy info off now before you start

boot from installer
choose troubleshoot
choose advanced
choose command prompt
type notepad and press enter
in notepad, select file>open
Use file explorer to copy any files you need to save to USB or hdd

Reset
boot from installer
choose troubleshoot
choose reset this PC
two choices, remove everything or keep files/settings
choose keep files/settings (Files = library folders. Library folders = Documents, pictures, movies, music (the default folders that come with windows). Settings = logins and desktop)

this removes all the programs on C drive, if you have more than 1 hdd in PC, it won't touch the other ones.

If it still doesn't work after a reset (it should though), you might need to do a clean install. If you copied everything off C before you did reset, its not a very big step - follow this guide: https://forums.tomshardware.com/faq/how-to-do-a-clean-installation-of-windows-10.3170366/

Solution