How can I fix this issue with connecting to the Internet on my Windows XP computer?

Spec2jeti

Reputable
Feb 26, 2016
My brother got an old computer from our grandpa. We set it up and it works perfectly except for one thing. It will not, under any circumstance, connect to my WiFi. I have tried everything. It won't even come up with my internet. I plugged the Ethernet cable into it. The computer didn't even bring that up. The computer asks for a username and password. Then, it'll have to call my ISP. I even tried replacing the network adapter. That didn't work. What can I do to fix this? I know it has Windows XP Home Edition. It has 2gb of RAM. And a 2.99GHz dual-core Intel Pentium. The computer is quite a few years old. The specs I'm not for sure about. I believe those are the correct specs.
The network adapter might be around 6 years old. My internet is only 3 years old. I'm not quite sure what other info you might need. Every other device in the house works. It's just that computer.

Solution
If it's asking for a user name and password over Ethernet, it sounds to me like its configured for PPPoE. The wifi issue is likely caused by an older wi-fi card not supporting newer protocols, but we will need a lot more Info on your hardware setup before we know for sure.

I don't know what this means, be more specific. Why do you have to call ISP? No other devices in the home work? Is this is a new ISP service?

Be methodical, tell us what logical steps have you taken to troubleshoot other than "it doesn't work."

If it's asking for a user name and password over Ethernet, it sounds to me like its configured for PPPoE. The wifi issue is likely caused by an older wi-fi card not supporting newer protocols, but we will need a lot more Info on your hardware setup before we know for sure.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS