Question How can i force delete a partition in Win10?

thomas_aaren

Commendable
Dec 7, 2018
So i`ve been hit by a virus. Guess they finally got to me :\ Im guessing its a virus that has created a new partition on my PC.
5b55b124-c20d-4ce2-afe0-c4f650686bfc-original.jpg
And it basically halts most of my operations on the pc and many other software doesnt work at all. Whenever i try to edit or enter it in win explorer EVERYTHING freezes for a few seconds and it just sits there "loading" , NOR can i use diskpart as its blocking me from access to that in cmd aswell. Not the partition manager in Win10 either. So now im out of ideas to how i can simply ERADICATE this partition..violently so if possible! kkkrrmmt..sorry i had a ..minor blackout there. Anyways.....Does anybody have any other clever suggestions as to how i can delete this partition? Thank You

USAFRet

Titan
So i`ve been hit by a virus.
Anyways.....Does anybody have any other clever suggestions as to how i can delete this partition? Thank You
  1. Recover from a full disk backup you made before this happened.
  2. Full wipe and reinstall of the OS.

In theory you could use a Linux bootable USB to get in there.
But just deleting this second partition is almost certainly not enough.
It is blocking basic functions of your OS, which means it is far more than just this second partition.

USAFRet

Titan
Oh God, that means i need to spend weeks re-installing all my software afterwards. That`s the only option huh? :\
Yes.
And take this as a heads up to start building a good backup routine.

With a regular full drive backup, you could have this 100% fixed in about an hour.

Reactions: wpgwpg

thomas_aaren

Commendable
Dec 7, 2018
Is there anywhere i can download a copy of Windows 10 PRO, i got a key but no software in the house anymore :\ Or do i need a physical copy from a dealer and pay for another license there?

USAFRet

Titan

thomas_aaren

Commendable
Dec 7, 2018
Thanks mate! Last time it was storage loss of data that did me over...now first i understand that windows itself also need a backup recovery apparently...will do the latter after ive setup everything all over again.

britechguy

Commendable
Jul 2, 2019
And just as an aside, if you do use the Media Creation Tool to create Windows 10 bootable media (or get the ISO and do same using a utility) the Windows 10 installation media has "all the bits" for all editions of Windows 10.

What determines what edition is actually activated is the license key used, and if you had Windows 10 already installed you won't even be asked for that if you reinstall on the same hardware.

If you were to have had, say, Windows 10 Home and want to go Pro, you do not reinstall Windows 10 from scratch, but simply go to Settings, Update & Security, Activation Pane and activate the Change product key link. After you enter the Pro key, Windows 10 does the under the hood changes to activate those features of Pro that were sitting there, unactivated and inaccessible, because it was a Home license previously.

USAFRet

Titan
On my main system, indeed all the systems in the house...there are full drive backups of ALL drives associated.
Done on a regular schedule.

A few months ago, one of my 1TB SSD's died suddenly.
It was a physical drive fail, but just as easily could have been a bad virus.
Clicky clicky...the entire drive recovered exactly as it was at 4AM that morning.

Given the inexpensive state of drive space and free software to do it, there is no reason to avoid a good backup routine.

Reactions: wpgwpg

USAFRet

Titan
If you were to have had, say, Windows 10 Home and want to go Pro, you do not reinstall Windows 10 from scratch, but simply go to Settings, Update & Security, Activation Pane and activate the Change product key link. After you enter the Pro key, Windows 10 does the under the hood changes to activate those features of Pro that were sitting there, unactivated and inaccessible, because it was a Home license previously.
I've done this, and mostly correct.

A Home install will upgrade and activate with a Pro license key.
But you can't 'downgrade' and activate a Pro install with a Home license.

britechguy

Commendable
Jul 2, 2019
Given the inexpensive state of drive space and free software to do it, there is no reason to avoid a good backup routine.

And, at one time, the cost of HDDs was a major barrier to "the average user" acquiring same and setting up a regular backup protocol.

No longer. During Prime Day(s), this 4GB Toshiba Canvio Advanced USB 3.0 external backup drive cost $76.99. Now it's back up to $114, but the next "big sale day," and there are several per year, it'll be that cheap or cheaper. Last year I got a 4TB Western Digital external backup drive and a 32GB jump drive with it for about $70.

If you care about your data and your sanity when you have a drive failure, spend that little bit of money and keep backups. But, and these days it's an important but, if you're using this type of drive do not have it connected to the computer except when you're taking a backup or doing a restore. Cryptomalware can and will encrypt your backup drive if it's active when the infection hits.

USAFRet

Titan
Ok, i downloaded "Windows 10" from their options rollout so i hope i will be able to switch over to pro like u said, if i understood that correctly?
Assuming you built the bootable USB properly, you'll be presented with a list of Windows versions when you install.
Select Pro.

And since this is simply a reinstall on the same hardware, you shouldn't even need to enter the license key.

thomas_aaren

Commendable
Dec 7, 2018
Ok, Lets hope this virus lets me make that bootable usb stick, it has been stuck at the second load screen in loading win10 media at 50% for about 10 minutes now. Im putting good faith in and hoping it will be done within a few hours

britechguy

Commendable
Jul 2, 2019
You need to create your media on another uninfected system then do a completely clean install, booting from that media by going into UEFI and changing the boot order first.

Important Reminder 1:

If your computer has ever had a valid, licensed copy of Windows 10 installed, even if that's been later replaced by, say, Linux, you can still do a completely clean install of Windows 10 without having to acquire a new license. Windows 10 licenses are stored electronically on Microsoft servers, and are linked to your computer's motherboard. The installer will locate that existing license if you are reinstalling Windows 10.

____

Important Reminder 2:

It should go without saying, but, if you have a functioning, even poorly functioning, system that you're hoping to wipe clean to get a fresh start you should definitely do a full system image backup and a separate user data backup before following the instructions for doing a completely clean reinstallation. It also makes sense to use a utility such as Belarc Advisor to create an inventory of the software you have installed and the license keys for same so that you have a handy list when it comes time to put them on your brand new Windows 10 installation.

____

You can use the Windows 10 Media Creation Tool either to create bootable USB media directly, or if you want to have a copy of the ISO file, to download that and use a separate utility to create the bootable USB media. Either way will work.

These instructions are current as of July 2, 2019. They have changed little during the life of Windows 10.

Doing a completely clean (re)installation of Windows 10 using the Media Creation Tool (MCT):

A) To create a bootable USB drive using the MCT itself:

- MS-Word Format: Completely Clean Win10 (Re)install Using MCT to Create a Bootable USB Drive

- PDF Format: Completely Clean Win10 (Re)install Using MCT to Create a Bootable USB Drive

B) To download the Windows 10 ISO file and use Rufus to create the bootable USB

- MS-Word Format: Completely Clean Win10 (Re)install Using MCT to Download Win10 ISO File

- PDF Format: Completely Clean Win10 (Re)install Using MCT to Download Win10 ISO File

--------------------------------------------------------
In your situation do not skip the step where you use diskpart to wipe the existing drive by hand before allowing Windows to actually begin installing.

thomas_aaren

Commendable
Dec 7, 2018
i DID create my media on a completly different computer...Actually, my method was almost identical to what you described over here..And i dont have access to neither diskpart or partitions in win or even let me right click a harddrive and edit it >=