[SOLVED] How can I force Windows 10 to always use my dedicated graphics card?

Status
Not open for further replies.

auudreeyy

Prominent
Aug 15, 2021
I am honestly at my wit's end with this issue. Here's as much detail as I can give:

- I am using an ASUS ROG Zephyrus DUO SE 15 GX551QS-XS98 which has a 300hz FHD panel and an AMD 5900HX and an RTX 3080.

- No matter what I do, Windows constantly shows that the display adapter associated with the main display is the AMD integrated graphics.

- There are no options in the Nvidia control panel to change this, no options in the ASUS BIOS that I could find, and it is not related, near as I can tell, to the power options.

- I am always plugged into the wall, always on ASUS' Turbo power preset. ASUS iGPU mode is disabled. I do not have the High Performance power options that some have suggested would change the preferred GPU.

- If I disable the integrated graphics in the device manager, it defaults to Windows Basic Display Driver even though I can clearly see my up-to-date Nvidia 3080 in the device manager.

- I am unable to change the display refresh rate to 300hz because of this, unless I step the resolution down to 1680x1050 at which point the option becomes available. Otherwise, the only option is 60hz.

- I have googled, I have contacted ASUS support, I've rifled both through the AMD and Nvidia control panels as well as the BIOS, I have done pretty much everything I can possibly think of to try and figure out how I can get Windows to use my preferred display device and I have come up completely empty handed. I believe I am acquiring some kind of madness.

If someone could kindly assist me, that would be great. Thanks.

Solution
Try to uninstall both graphics driver using DDU, install chipset driver from amd website, restart, install the latest nvidia driver, open up to Nvidia Control Panel, and assign it to High performance nvidia processor. then install the latest amd radeon driver. try to change the refresh rate on amd driver, since your lapop is muxless, your monitor is connected to the igpu instead bypass it to the nvidia gpu.
Try to uninstall both graphics driver using DDU, install chipset driver from amd website, restart, install the latest nvidia driver, open up to Nvidia Control Panel, and assign it to High performance nvidia processor. then install the latest amd radeon driver. try to change the refresh rate on amd driver, since your lapop is muxless, your monitor is connected to the igpu instead bypass it to the nvidia gpu.

Solution

auudreeyy

Prominent
Aug 15, 2021

Hi, this is a quite old thread and I'm just now coming back to it, apologies. I tried your fix and, incredibly considering how hopeless I was on this matter before, it worked... sort of?
While the refresh rate is now set at 300hz (nice!) it still uses the iGPU outside of games, and my concern is that it prevents me from performing desktop capture with Shadowplay, which seems to be because of the laptop's use of the iGPU. Is it possible to get around this in any way, or am I stuck on that setting?

Status
Not open for further replies.