How can I format my master hard disk in Vista?

stubu

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2007
Hi,
I have a two weeks custom built system.

Intel core duo 6600
RAM 2GB
Motherboard - ASUS P5W DH deluxe
Graphik Card - TwinTech 8600GT 256MB
Hard Disk master - Serial SATA 160MB
Hard Disk slave - Serial SATA 320MB - Formated
Hard Disk IDE 80MB - Formated

I googled for a while and I saw that some people had the same problem with windows XP (System Partition is not allowed to be formatted)
and they should delete the partitions, but in Vista it dos not let me delete the small 9MB partition.

Wenn I try to format my Hard Disk in the Command Prompt I see that message:

C:\Windows\system32>format C:
The type of the file system is NTFS.

WARNING, ALL DATA ON NON-REMOVABLE DISK
DRIVE C: WILL BE LOST!

Proceed with Format (Y/N)? y

Formatting 152617M

System Partition is not allowed to be formatted

C:\Windows\system32>

bledar1

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2008
Hi Can anyone help me, i have tried formating my drive but it wont let me, the reason why i am trying is that i use Vista home premium in italian language, i have also installed a new language pack in english, but the problem after that was that it would let me update anything, also the windows defender wouldnt get any updates of any kind. Any help please

kayris

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2009
Boot from the Vista DVD and format your hard drive. You can't format C: while Windows is running.

Grumpy
What if you have no option to format from Vist boot disc, I do the following steps
1. insert disc
2. click set up
3. Click install now
4.insert disc key
5. check "accept the license terms"
6. Open "Custom ( Adavanced)
then from ther all it says is there is already a version of windows installed, the old version of windows will be calle "windows.old" and you will not be able to use that version of windows.
teher is a note at the bottom of teh screen that says " To make changes to partitions, restart windows from the install disc,.. umm well I have many of time and still no change on install process, I have set the BIOS to even read the CDrom/DVD as primary???

G

now I have to ask you another question? is there a way to format system disc in vista without boot directly from dvd.( I want to install 32bit w7 but it says that they are incompatible)

RJsplace

Distinguished
Apr 6, 2011
Hi, This is what you put in your command promt to format c drive,,

format c: /fs:NTFS/p: /

sorry they seem to put smiles where they do not belong!! it is this with no spaces : / between format and c there is a space. The only space!

follow directions and it will start.

Mine is formating as I type. Good luck.

And if you want to upgrade from Vista Premium to Vista Ultimate but have problems, try this...

Vista Home Premium to Ultimate Upgrade

Here is the way to upgrade Vista Home Premium to Vista Ultimate, 32 bit, when the upgrade goes on and on, but then quits right at the end. This I got from Microsoft support. The solution is easy and not obvious. For this Anytime Upgrade from Home Premium to Ultimate -- Go to Control Panel > Programs and Features.
On the left side, if I remember correctly, click on "Turn Windows features on and off." Turn off these three things:
Microsoft.NET Framework 3.0
Remote Differential Compression
Windows DFS Replication Service
That is probably enough, but Microsoft also said to be on the cautious side, from msconfig, uncheck "load startup items" and check "Hide all Microsoft services." (You can turn all this stuff back on, if need be, once Vista Ultimate is installed.)
Now you are all set to upgrade to Vista Ultimate. Make sure that you have downloaded to your computer the small file from Digitallocker. Then put your Vista DVD into your DVD drive and follow the simple instructions. This should work and after one and one-half hours or so, you will will Vista Ultimate installed. It is very nice, especially DreamScene.
The above took me a good 10 hours of phone call after phone call, going in circles, until a Microsoft engineer in India took pity on me and said she would stick with me until my problem was solved. As you can see, the solution is very easy, but who would figure it out by them selves? Or know why it works. But it works, and that is enough.
This problem must be widespread; I am making a hardcopy of what I have just typed so to be quickly ready with a reply to others here with this problem. Perhaps you be a on the lookout too and give some one a hand with this exasperating situation.

This came from a great guy,, named Rory Thanks Rory, helped me a lot.