[SOLVED] How can I get a game to use all of my CPU cores evenly?

marty48071

Reputable
Jan 1, 2017
I am playing the new flight simulator on my pc. I dumped 2200 into new upgrades. I have noticed that I can't get my frame rate up past 40FPS. the system says that it is limited by the main threads. when I check I see that core 0 and core 12 are doing most of the work while the other 13 cores are not doing much at all. in fact I have 3 cores not doing any of the load. is there a way I can fix this so I can get better performance out of this and other games? Please help thank you and Merry Christmas. :)

Solution
Nope. The new Flight Sim is gimped by DX11
I think that means it's not DX12? Does that automatically make a game make greater utilization of CPU hardware threads? Doesn't the game also have to be coded in a way that uses what the API offers?

So, for @marty48071 benefit: MSFS2020 isn't a very heavily threaded game. And I also think it's easily GPU bound. At any rate considering game "action", if you can call it that in a flight sim, progresses as slowly as it does 40fps is really quite good enough. Probably very good if at high resolutions (4K?) and/or settings.

Not all that many games are heavily threaded...Cyberpunk 2077 seems to be one that is. None that come anywhere close to using up an 8 core processor much less...
I am playing the new flight simulator on my pc. I dumped 2200 into new upgrades. I have noticed that I can't get my frame rate up past 40FPS. the system says that it is limited by the main threads. when I check I see that core 0 and core 12 are doing most of the work while the other 13 cores are not doing much at all. in fact I have 3 cores not doing any of the load. is there a way I can fix this so I can get better performance out of this and other games? Please help thank you and Merry Christmas. :)

I think that means it's not DX12? Does that automatically make a game make greater utilization of CPU hardware threads? Doesn't the game also have to be coded in a way that uses what the API offers?

So, for @marty48071 benefit: MSFS2020 isn't a very heavily threaded game. And I also think it's easily GPU bound. At any rate considering game "action", if you can call it that in a flight sim, progresses as slowly as it does 40fps is really quite good enough. Probably very good if at high resolutions (4K?) and/or settings.

Not all that many games are heavily threaded...Cyberpunk 2077 seems to be one that is. None that come anywhere close to using up an 8 core processor much less 16. That's why the sage advice for configuring a gaming system is to get a 6 core CPU, 8 core if you stream and/or record videos of your action.

Last edited:
Solution
D

Deleted member 2838871

It really is quite good enough. Not patting them on the back or anything but that's what I'm getting with my new build running 4K ultra turn everything to the max setting... 35-40 fps. It's what I expected... because that's what MSFS2020 does... bring PCs to their knees.

This isn't COD where super high framerate is needed. Sure it would be nice... and I know I can go in and tweak a few settings to get there... but the game has been quite playable as is... so I'm not too worried about it.

Just installed CP2077... will cross that performance bridge this 4 day weekend and see how it compares. :)

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
It's MS's fault for launching the game unfinished - they're slowly rolling out optimization updates.
Last I heard about it(a couple months ago), the game supports DX11 and only runs on 4 cpu cores/threads. EVERYONE is cpu limited in that game for the time being, even at 4K.