[SOLVED] How can I get better cooling with both RTX0280ti and GT1030?

Apr 25, 2019
Hi,

I'm collectively building a new PC for deep learning. Currently I got an i9-9820X, 4x16GB RAM and an Nvidia GT1030 on ASUS Prime X299 Deluxe II. They are wrapped in a Fractal Design Meshify S2 case with three front intaking fans and one rear exhaustive fan. The CPU is cooling by Noctua NH-U14S with two fans in push/pull. And there is also a 40mm fan cooling the VRM. The PSU fan is facing downwards to the floor within the PSU shroud.

The MB has three PCIEx16 slots. The GT1030 is a low profile GPU for purely X server: (https://www.asus.com/Graphics-Cards/GT1030-SL-2G-BRK/). This card doesn't come with a fan. I'm planning to get a 2080ti FE for deep learning and my question is how should I manage the installation of these two GPUs to get best cooling? I think I have the following options:
  1. RTX card in the top slot and GT card in the middle slot. I guess this is not ideal as RTX will suck in hot air around GT.
  2. RTX card in the top slot and GT card in the bottom slot. However, The space of the bottom slot is limited and the GT cannot fit. But I have a PCIE raiser cable, which I can alternatively use it in the bottom slot and put GT vertically thanks to the chasis design. This plan seems push the two cards further aways from each other and give more room for RTX to breath. However, GT is still in the bottom to create hot source.
  3. GT on the top slot and RTX in the middle slot. I personally prefer this setting as there is no other card beneath RTX. But I have one concern that the RTX might be too close to the PSU shroud (about 1 PCIE lane in-between? Maybe a bit less than that as the bottom PCIE is not full in width). Is that enough for RTX to breath?
  4. GT on top and put RTX vertically by PCIE raiser. I'm trying to avoid applying the raiser on the RTX to ensure performance.
Which one is the best? I'm not good at thermal dynamics. I really appreciate suggestions and help from the experts and the experienced people here. Thanks a lot!

Solution
The third option is probably the best. Airflow to the 2080ti will not be obstructed or heated by the 1030. Only problem I see with option 2 is that the bottom slot does not run at x16 speeds.

Zephyl

Commendable
Mar 13, 2017
The third option is probably the best. Airflow to the 2080ti will not be obstructed or heated by the 1030. Only problem I see with option 2 is that the bottom slot does not run at x16 speeds.

Solution
Apr 25, 2019

Thank you for pointing out the bottom slot is x8. For X server usage, I think it's sufficient to run with 8 lanes. I hesitate between option 2 and 3. In option 2, there will be a plenty of space beneath 2080ti to breath and no obstruction. The only concern is how much heat it will receive from 1030. Option 3 is my original plan before I collected parts together. But then I'm worried about if RTX in the middle slot will be too close to shroud, when I actually assembled machine.

Last edited:

Zephyl

Commendable
Mar 13, 2017
Thank for pointing out the bottom slot is x8. For X server usage, I think it's sufficient to run with 8 lanes. I hesitate between option 2 and 3. In option 2, there will be a plenty of space beneath 2080ti to breath and no obstruction. The only concern is how much heat it will receive from 1030. Option 3 is my original plan before I collected parts together. But then I'm worried about if RTX in the middle slot will be too close to shroud, when I actually assembled machine.
Well, if you don't mind the 1030 running a bit slower, option 2 is perfectly viable, and the 2080 would get more air.

Reactions: dustar1986