Question How can I get desktop to not disconnect from internet like my Roku and my phone?

villandra

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2012
I need to know who I can get my desktop computer to stop constantly disconnecting from internet? My internet isn't that great, but, my Roku and my phone never lose the Internet. What is the reason for that and how do I copy their reliability on my computer?

I am running an older home built desktop. It does not have a brand. I am running Windows 10.

My housemate has AT&T "Broadband" - at 25 Mbps. When I have Internet my computer equals or exceeds 25 Mbps, but the jitter is all over the place. Ping might be 25 or 400. I have not had ping show it outright cutting out, not even in Ubuntu where it keeps running until you stop it.

You'd think I have my answer, except, it is not bothering my Roku or my phone - not even with You Tube, which makes ridiculous demands on internet reliability. The internet signal itself is not disappearing, only my computer's ability to connect to it.

The adapter-s antenna is on top of my 5-6 foot high loft bed post, with antennae spread out perpendicular to a direct line to the modem, which is about 40 feet and 2 plaster and wood walls away.

The USB adapter is connected to the USB 3.0 port.

The Windows Reliability History isn't giving any internet related errors at all. I did just now disable IP6. I do have everything disabled but one wireless connection.

ping n 1000 google.com does show that periodically the connection times out, and when it does, my browser (Chrome) also doesn't connect to the internet, and, it takes a couple of seconds after the connection comes back for browser function to recover.

I can't seem to copy and paste, as I could in Ubuntu, but, it'll be goind along at time - 46 ms, and really, not much jitter at teh moment, but every 30 or 40 lines I get Request time out, and that may repeat several times, and then back to time=46 ms.

But this isn't bothering my Roku at all. It never even blinks.

On my Iphone 11, using the Inet utility, I am runnng ping, and so far I see at this moment more Request timed out on my desktop in Command prompt than connecting successfully, but, on my iphone, I have only seen a single one line of time out, and, not much more jitter. This suggests a real difference between how my desktop is receiving wireless than how my phone is receiving - or processing it. My phone is not experiencing most of the timeouts that my desktop is.

One other thing; for exactly half of one day, I had working actual broadband internet, at 300 mbps, from Suddenlink/ Optimum, which then stopped working. (Specifically the modem stopped connecting.) A wireless extender was connected to my ethernet port by cable, and the wireless was disabled, and I never saw this issue. That also suggests it's a problem with my wireless adapter.

That the internet issues aren't bothering my other devices suggests a different internet adapter might get my computer to reliably connect to the internet.

I am using this adapter.

Panda Wireless® PAU0D AC1200 Wireless AC USB Adapter w/Dual Antennas​

When I research adapters, I find different suggestions, but, when I go on Amazon, every one of them, whether with or without antennas, using whatever 6, high speed, low speed, usb or PCI slot, ALL have 6% of users report the same set of problems; low speed and internet keeps cutting out, after 2 weeks it no longer works at all, even with Intel chips. A similar common report in different words is that the internet connection frequently drops, in other words, with every single adapter I looked at no matter what kind, many people reported the specific issue I want to NOT experience. Satisfaction at 4 or 5 is always 86 to 87%. Normally I would be happy at things rated more than 4.5, but, if their adapters can't cope with troubled internet service, or potentially even with normal internet service, it's not likely to work for me either, and I'm not happy with a 1/20 chance of the thing failing out of the box.

What adapter would best cope with my poor internet and not keep cutting out? And work for longer than for 2 weeks?

Can anyone come up with a way to make my computer connect to the internet as reliably as my Roku and phone can?

Disabling IP 6 did not work. Trying to update the driver, I found the system is running this,

802.11ac Wireless LAN Card. Driver provider Microsoft
Driver date 4/21/2015
Driver Version 5.1.22.0
Digital Signer Microsoft Windows

system32\DRIVERS\FW_7662.bin
netr28uxsys
Patch_7662.bin
System32\drivers\wifibus.sys

When I clicked to update driver, when I clicked to go to Microsoft Update to look for an update for the driver, it only opened Microsoft Update itself, which said I am "up to date", not looked for that driver.

Panda web site says that for Windows 10 I don't need a driver, and that's all it said.

I don't think for one minute a 2015 version of that driver is up to date. The driver is 7 years old than the device it supports!

Thanks!

Yours,
Dora Smith

Last edited:

USAFRet

Titan
2.4 ghz band is almost phased out like 3G .
even 5 ghz is considered old is being replaced by 6 ghz .
even your microwave , could interrupt the 2.4 ghz band .
hope that helps.
Thats not how WiFi works.

2,4 and 5GHz WiFi has nothing to do with 3g/4g/5g cellular wireless.

Nothing at all.

Please stop spouting misinformation.

The adapter-s antenna is on top of my 5-6 foot high loft bed post, with antennae spread out perpendicular to a direct line to the modem, which is about 40 feet and 2 plaster and wood walls away.

The USB adapter is connected to the USB 3.0 port.

Do not connect a USB wifi adapter to a USB 3.0 port. There are known interference issues between USB 3.0 and 2.4ghz wifi. Use a USB 2.0 port if possible.

Other than that, as you suspect, and I concur, I never use standard windows drivers. They do wonky things with wifi, even on Intel wifi cards that are installed on laptops by the millions. If the manufacturer won't give out a proper driver, then I'd look for a new wifi adapter from a reputable manufacturer with actual validated drivers on their website.

But really, I prefer to use an Asus Router placed into "media bridge mode". Make sure the asus router you buy supports this mode, not all do. Other router brands also support a bridged mode. This will utilize all the antennae of the router to connect to the main router to make a bridge. My AC-86U units have 4 antenna with a 4x4 radio, so it actually gave the full 1000mbps in bridge mode. It maintained a very strong connection and gave 4 LAN ports so I could plug in other devices like a game console and a NAS.

If the apartment has Coax ports in each room. You could use MOCA adapters as well. Just make sure you install a POE(point of entry) adapter at the main splitter for the apartment. MOCA will give full gigabit speeds with great reliability.

villandra

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2012
My internet upgrade finally works, and, I got the optional free extender, which has an ethernet port on it.

I honestly suspects the problem is the adapter doesn't have an updated driver. But I'm now using the ethernet port. I have consistency and speed.

It is good that it is working for you. Be careful though you are only kinda using ethernet. What you are if effect doing is using a wifi nic card that is connected via ethenet rather than say USB. It is still a wifi connection. The only key difference is there are no wifi drivers being used in the pc which may or may not be significant.

Mar 23, 2023
My internet upgrade finally works, and, I got the optional free extender, which has an ethernet port on it.

I honestly suspects the problem is the adapter doesn't have an updated driver. But I'm now using the ethernet port. I have consistency and speed.
A free wifi analyzer would be able to tell you what your desktop wireless RSSI is while connected to the router.
The extender you got would effectively lower your RSSI to levels that don't create the drops. But good job resolving the issue.