How can I get files from a laptop without a working gpu to one with a working gpu?

Jul 24, 2018
I have two laptops. Laptop 1's gpu no longer works, and there are files on there I'd like to save. Laptop 2 works just fine. I have an HDMI cable and was wondering if I could somehow get the files from Laptop 1 to Laptop 2, or onto a flash drive. It's my first time on this site so I apologise if this is the wrong place to ask.

Solution
You would likely have to remove the hard drive from laptop 1 and either place it inside of laptop 2, or use a SATA to USB adapter (such as this one: https://www.neweggbusiness.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIV0E24TA7322&ignorebbr=1&nm_mc=KNC-GoogleBizMKPL-PC&cm_mmc=KNC-GoogleBizMKPL-PC-_-pla-_-Cables+-+USB+Cables-_-9SIV0E24TA7322&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIgbTBheS43AIVA43ICh2hsgxHEAkYAyABEgLRLPD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds) to connect the drive externally. What are the makes/models of the two laptops?
You would likely have to remove the hard drive from laptop 1 and either place it inside of laptop 2, or use a SATA to USB adapter (such as this one: https://www.neweggbusiness.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIV0E24TA7322&ignorebbr=1&nm_mc=KNC-GoogleBizMKPL-PC&cm_mmc=KNC-GoogleBizMKPL-PC-_-pla-_-Cables+-+USB+Cables-_-9SIV0E24TA7322&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIgbTBheS43AIVA43ICh2hsgxHEAkYAyABEgLRLPD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds) to connect the drive externally. What are the makes/models of the two laptops?

Solution

Bill Wendel

Distinguished
May 7, 2013
Do you ever get anything on the screen of Laptop1 before Windows boot? If so you could have corrupt display drivers. At that point I'd take it to a local, non-namebrand, repair shop and let them do it. If you never get even the post screen then the SATA to USB adaptor mentioned above is your best bet as long as you think you can remove the hard drive from Laptop1 yourself. I highly doubt the hard drive is encrypted as I've seen those drives on rare occasions. The only problem you'll run into here is that if you get the drive to show up in Laptop2 as a second drive when you go looking for your data you'll have to rip permissions on the user directory's. Not difficult tho just takes a few minutes.