How can I get hold of a legitimate copy of XP to run in a VM?

al92

Reputable
Oct 29, 2017
I'd like to create a Windows XP virtual machine on my Win 10 laptop, to allow me to play certain older games. I've got Virtual Box installed, but I don't know how to get XP itself. I'd prefer not to get it from a pirate source if possible...

I do have two old PCs still which run XP, so I could probably use the validation/activation code from one of them, but I don't have a Win XP boot disk or anything like that any more. Is there anywhere I can download it or get a disk from?

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
i've not seen a legit source for wn xp for a long time. MS certainly does not host it anymore. there are still copies out there in internet land but there is no guarantee they are legit copies and are not full of spyware/virus type stuff.

if you can see if any friends still have a copy lying around you can use/make a copy of for yourself. beyond that, you're taking a big risk obtaining/using a copy from some random place on the web.

There "Restore Disk" will work without activation only on genuine HP/Dell computers. If you install them on VM, you'll still have to activate them with legal XP product key.

al92

Reputable
Oct 29, 2017

I should have two legal product keys as I have two old machines which are running legitimate copies of XP; hopefully I'd be able to use one of those?