How can i get more FPS in games?

tom1234567

Reputable
Apr 16, 2015
So i need a upgrade on my pc but i dont know what. I play games such as Arma 3, GTA 5, Watchdogs etc. Except i only get around 30-40fps on most of the games i play. Which is annoying. i have checked all the websites avaliable to tell you if you have what it takes to run a game but most of the time it tells me i have the recommended. All i need to know is how i can improve fps in high end game.

My Specs;

CPU - AMD A8-6600K APU with Radeon(tm) HD Graphics
Graphics Card - GeForce GTX 660
RAM - 8GB

Thank you, this has really been frustrating me.

Solution
A game will be limited by either the graphics card or the cpu.
Games like you play tend to be cpu limited, and dependent on a single fast master core. Your A8 simply does not have fast cores.

To verify this, run a couple of tests:

------------------------------------------------------------
To help clarify your CPU/GPU options, run these two tests:

a) Run YOUR games, but lower your resolution and eye candy.
If your FPS increases, it indicates that your cpu is strong enough to drive a better graphics configuration.
If your FPS stays the same, you are likely more cpu limited.

b) Limit your cpu, either by reducing the OC, or, in windows power management, limit the maximum cpu% to something like 70%.
Go to control panel/power...
A game will be limited by either the graphics card or the cpu.
Games like you play tend to be cpu limited, and dependent on a single fast master core. Your A8 simply does not have fast cores.

To verify this, run a couple of tests:

------------------------------------------------------------
To help clarify your CPU/GPU options, run these two tests:

a) Run YOUR games, but lower your resolution and eye candy.
If your FPS increases, it indicates that your cpu is strong enough to drive a better graphics configuration.
If your FPS stays the same, you are likely more cpu limited.

b) Limit your cpu, either by reducing the OC, or, in windows power management, limit the maximum cpu% to something like 70%.
Go to control panel/power options/change plan settings/change advanced power settings/processor power management/maximum processor state/
This will simulate what a lack of cpu power will do.
Conversely what a 30% improvement in core speed might do.

You should also experiment with removing one core. You can do this in the windows msconfig boot advanced options option. set the number of processors to less than you have.
This will tell you how sensitive your games are to the benefits of many cores.

If your FPS drops significantly, it is an indicator that your cpu is the limiting factor, and a cpu upgrade is in order.

It is possible that both tests are positive, indicating that you have a well balanced system, and both cpu and gpu need to be upgraded to get better gaming FPS.
-------------------------------------------------------------

I know this is not what you want to hear, but there is no good upgrade for an APU.
To do better, I think you need to use a intel cpu of some sort.

Solution

StarChief

Reputable
Jun 22, 2015
Recommended means exactly that, you can play the game at high settings at 30+ fps.

If you want better frames you need a better video card. All the games you listed are new and graphically demanding. Except arma, which apparently runs terrible on anything that has more than 4 cores.

tom1234567

Reputable
Apr 16, 2015

so your saying in order to get 60fps i will need a better graphics card? because i have done what you suggested and games run at 60 fps when the graphics are on very low.

tom1234567

Reputable
Apr 16, 2015

right, so an upgraded cpu will not help with frames? Even one like i have?

seeingeyegod

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2009
Easiest upgrade definitely the video card. The CPU isn't ancient. I have the same video card and an 8350 and I know I'm primarily GPU limited. Was the 660 an improvement over the A8's integrated Radeon graphics?

tom1234567

Reputable
Apr 16, 2015

but what if i wanted to keep the game looking nice but still wanted good fps. is that a graphics card issue?

tom1234567

Reputable
Apr 16, 2015

yes it was, about a year ago i upgraded the graphics card but games have changed now. So you think gtx 660 needs upgraded?

I am a bit surprised. But, if you get 60fps with reduced graphics, then your game will definitely do better with a stronger graphics card.
If you can, make the upgrade a biggish one, or you may be disappointed if you don't see good results.
GTX970 if you can.

seeingeyegod

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2009

The GTX 660 was a high-midrange card like 2 years ago, so yeah it is rather weak now. Like the previous poster said, a 970 or a 950 will probably double your FPS for a few hundred bucks.

tom1234567

Reputable
Apr 16, 2015

i saw what you suggested with the 970 but the 960 is within my price range a bit more. Just the last thing i would need to know is if i was going to get the 960 would it fit my motherboard which is currently holding a 660? http://www.dabs.com/products/evga-geforce-gtx-960-1279mhz-2gb-pci-e-3-0-ssc-acx-cooling-2-0--B1V8.html
that is the 960 i was looking at.
Thanks a lot for your help

tom1234567

Reputable
Apr 16, 2015

would a 960 fit the place of an old 660 then?

GTX960 and GTX660 need the same 430w and a 6 pin connector, you are good there.
Neither card is unusually long, so you are good there too.
The card you linked is a superclock version which is factory overclocked and faster than stock.
That is good.
It needs 400w and a 8 pin pcie power connector.
If your psu has two 6 pin pcie connectors, the box will include a 8 pin adapter.
Exactly what make/model is your psu?