[SOLVED] How can I get my cell phone to work in the US?

SmilinDoug

Prominent
Jul 19, 2019
When I was in Afghanistan a few years ago, I bought a Nokia 1680 Classic cell phone. When I left I wasn't even thinking about my phone. With this phone I have to buy hours, kinda like a Tracfone. Do I have to change the sim card? Can I find a service provider that I can use this phone? I mean the one that I buy hours for the phone. I'm not too smart when it comes to cell phones. Thank you in advance for any help you can give me.

Solution
This is not an easy question to answer.

You need to know whether the phone is a GSM versus CDMA network (see the results of this search: GSM vs CDMA) phone so you would even know which providers might work with your phone then you'd need to find out which of the providers allow you to bring your own device.

What I've found about the Nokia 1680 indicates it's a GSM network device, which means AT&T or T-Mobile (or one of myriad small pay-as-you-go services that operate on their networks - only some of which allow you to bring a device you own).

Then you have to look at the frequency bands your phone uses and that the carrier uses as well.

For a device as basic and inexpensive as a Nokia 1680, I would be very inclined to just...

britechguy

Commendable
Jul 2, 2019
This is not an easy question to answer.

You need to know whether the phone is a GSM versus CDMA network (see the results of this search: GSM vs CDMA) phone so you would even know which providers might work with your phone then you'd need to find out which of the providers allow you to bring your own device.

What I've found about the Nokia 1680 indicates it's a GSM network device, which means AT&T or T-Mobile (or one of myriad small pay-as-you-go services that operate on their networks - only some of which allow you to bring a device you own).

Then you have to look at the frequency bands your phone uses and that the carrier uses as well.

For a device as basic and inexpensive as a Nokia 1680, I would be very inclined to just get another device once you choose a carrier and plan in the USA.

Reactions: SmilinDoug
Solution