Question How can I get my FX 8350 to work with my motherboard?

BTBPresident

Prominent
Mar 30, 2022
I recently got an ASUS M5A78L-M/USB3 motherboard with a FX 6300 CPU in it. Everything working and post but when i put my FX 8350 in then nothing happens. Just black screen. I cleared cmos and tried again with no luck. Its updated to the latest bios and shows it supported on the Asus website. I even took off the cpu cooler to see if the cpu is even heating up and it is but just not posting or anything coming from the motherboard. I have a 760GM-P34 (FX) motherboard and it wont post there either but i dont expect it to as its not supported on that board.

That AMD CPU should work on your current motherboard, assuming BIOS is indeed up-to-date. Was the CPU seated properly on the motherboard's socket ?

BTW, is the FX 8350 a brand new CPU, or a used second hand product ? Has it worked before on any system ? You said that you recently bought an ASUS M5A78L-M/USB3 motherboard with a FX 6300 CPU in it. So where does the FX 8350 CPU fit here ?

You bought it separately from retail ? Can you post a pic of the Top side of the FX 8350 chip ? The chip shouldn't be heating that much at least in the system boot process though.

Last edited:

BTBPresident

Prominent
Mar 30, 2022
That AMD CPU should work on your current motherboard, assuming BIOS is indeed up-to-date. Was the CPU seated properly on the motherboard's socket ?

BTW, is the FX 8350 a brand new CPU, or a used second hand product ? Has it worked before on any system ? You said that you recently bought an ASUS M5A78L-M/USB3 motherboard with a FX 6300 CPU in it. So where does the FX 8350 CPU fit here ?

You bought it separately from retail ? Can you post a pic of the Top side of the FX 8350 chip ? The chip shouldn't be heating that much at least in the system boot process though.
View: https://imgur.com/a/jny53ZB

Its all second hand. I was running it on a 970A-G46 Motherboard till it gave out so I've been trying to get new motherboard to replace the one that stopped working. That motherboard just shorts out every time the 8 pin power connector is in. Its seated properly and bios is up to date. I also have another FX 8150 that wont post on the motherboard but the FX 4350 post when I put that CPU in the Asus motherboard

Last edited:

BTBPresident

Prominent
Mar 30, 2022
It doesn't matter what the compatibility settings say. The VRM's, of that board, cannot handle an FX 8350. Have you tried running the FX 6300, at all, in either board?
The FX 6300 and FX 4350 both work on the ASUS M5A78L-M/USB3 motherboard but the FX 8350 and FX 8150 wont post on it but yet the ASUS website says its compatible. Is there any work around to get it to post?

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
Despite that 760 board not supporting it, CPU support for the FX generation was pretty loose, in other words, it should boot anyway. The fact that the CPU is not posting in TWO different motherboards tells me that there is (surprise!) something wrong with the CPU.

You mentioned your prior motherboard failing, what exactly happened to it? You mentioned the board shorting out when an 8 pin power connector is plugged in. That CPU power connector is direct to the CPU. If thats the source of failure for the board, the CPU being fried would not be shocking.

As mentioned even if this worked, that board is a BAD choice for the FX 8350, the VRMs can't handle it, it will throttle at a minimum, or fail sooner than later since its going on 10 years old at this point.

BTBPresident

Prominent
Mar 30, 2022
Despite that 760 board not supporting it, CPU support for the FX generation was pretty loose, in other words, it should boot anyway. The fact that the CPU is not posting in TWO different motherboards tells me that there is (surprise!) something wrong with the CPU.

You mentioned your prior motherboard failing, what exactly happened to it? You mentioned the board shorting out when an 8 pin power connector is plugged in. That CPU power connector is direct to the CPU. If thats the source of failure for the board, the CPU being fried would not be shocking.

As mentioned even if this worked, that board is a BAD choice for the FX 8350, the VRMs can't handle it, it will throttle at a minimum, or fail sooner than later since its going on 10 years old at this point.
If the CPU is fried would it still get hot when in the new motherboard? . What happened to the last motherboard was it just switched off and when i try starting it back up with the 8 pin in, the power supply cuts the power instantly with or without a CPU in the socket

If the CPU is fried would it still get hot when in the new motherboard? . What happened to the last motherboard was it just switched off and when i try starting it back up with the 8 pin in, the power supply cuts the power instantly with or without a CPU in the socket
That perfectly describes VRM failure and yes, CPU can get hot even if it's not good. CPUs mostly get damaged when outside of socket, bent and straightened pins or static electricity. Take a good look at pins with a magnifying glass, look for pins that are slightly out of whack or even missing one.

BTBPresident

Prominent
Mar 30, 2022
That perfectly describes VRM failure and yes, CPU can get hot even if it's not good. CPUs mostly get damaged when outside of socket, bent and straightened pins or static electricity. Take a good look at pins with a magnifying glass, look for pins that are slightly out of whack or even missing one.
View: https://imgur.com/a/ZcufJzf
I cant see anything wrong with pins. Even if the FX8350 is fried the FX 8150 should work on the boards but its not booting

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!

Absolutely, it still has electricity running through it, it will definitely still get hot. Sounds like the VRMs failed on your old board, easily could take the CPU out.

By the way if you're running these CPUs without coolers on them for testing purposes you are just adding to the damage. If they weren't fried before they are now.

BTBPresident

Prominent
Mar 30, 2022
Absolutely, it still has electricity running through it, it will definitely still get hot. Sounds like the VRMs failed on your old board, easily could take the CPU out.

By the way if you're running these CPUs without coolers on them for testing purposes you are just adding to the damage. If they weren't fried before they are now.
I have the option to buy more Cpu but that would not be a good idea when I cant get the current two I have to post. I dont think both can be fried and I only ran the CPU without a cooler with my finger on top to see if it gets hot for a second to rule out if the CPU is getting power

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
I have the option to buy more Cpu but that would not be a good idea when I cant get the current two I have to post. I dont think both can be fried and I only ran the CPU without a cooler with my finger on top to see if it gets hot for a second to rule out if the CPU is getting power

You're running 10+ year old hardware in some cases, you would be surprised how quickly it could be damaged if not properly cared for.

The FX platform was underpowered when it was new. Do not throw more money after this, cut your losses and buy something new. Literally anything even the cheapest Intel i3 or Ryzen 3 would demolish that 8350 in any possible task.

Reactions: Metal Messiah.

BTBPresident

Prominent
Mar 30, 2022
It sounds like you gave it a good effort but are still spinning your wheels. Time to move on. Designate the mobo/6300 as a backup and get something better at this point.
Only Reason I am using all these parts is that it doesn't cost much. I can buy another FX 8 core system for cheaper than just buying a new i3 CPU. The last system gave me a year before the motherboard gave out