[SOLVED] How can I get my laptop back to a normal standard?

Jan 5, 2021
I have a laptop I bought in 2016, but I didn't realise it was exceptionally trash. The specs are horrible and its gotten to the point where it takes a lot of time to just boot. I need a side laptop just for work calls and i don't want to get a new laptop at the moment. Is there anything i can do to salvage it? I wouldn't mind deleting everything on there if i have to.

The laptop specs:
Acer Aspire ES1-512
Intel Celeron N2840
4GB DDR3 RAM
500 GB HDD
15.6" LCD Display

If you need any more information on the laptop check out this link: https://www.acer.com/datasheets/2014/4876/ES1-512/NX.MRWAA.017.html

Solution
If i were to get a fresh os install, would it wipe the hard drive?
Yes.
Anything you wish to keep, save it elsewhere first.

Full wipe and reinstall. Preferably on a new SSD.

USAFRet

Titan
If i were to get a fresh os install, would it wipe the hard drive?
Yes.

Solution
Jan 5, 2021
Yes.

That'll work perfectly then. Thanks.

I have a laptop I bought in 2016, but I didn't realise it was exceptionally trash. The specs are horrible and its gotten to the point where it takes a lot of time to just boot. I need a side laptop just for work calls and i don't want to get a new laptop at the moment. Is there anything i can do to salvage it? I wouldn't mind deleting everything on there if i have to.

The laptop specs:
Acer Aspire ES1-512
Intel Celeron N2840
4GB DDR3 RAM
500 GB HDD
15.6" LCD Display

If you need any more information on the laptop check out this link: https://www.acer.com/datasheets/2014/4876/ES1-512/NX.MRWAA.017.html

LOL, my relative have exactly this laptop. Yes, it is slow crap by design, but for basic office tasks and web browsing is fine for the price. Which I believe was the goal when Acer made it. Very easy for servicing, but easy to kill with first cup of coffee on keyboard. He came in same same situation when thing basically came to grinding halt. I replaced HDD to Crucial MX500 250GB SSD and reinstalled Windows and thing began to work quite acceptable with instant UI response at last. So in your case upgrade to SSD is mandatory too. Windows reinstall is recommended as well. Then thing at least will feel like computer. Former HDD you can put into external USB 3.0 HDD case and use as big "thumb drive". We did exactly that.

Jan 5, 2021
LOL, my relative have exactly this laptop. Yes, it is slow crap by design, but for basic office tasks and web browsing is fine for the price. Which I believe was the goal when Acer made it. Very easy for servicing, but easy to kill with first cup of coffee on keyboard. He came in same same situation when thing basically came to grinding halt. I replaced HDD to Crucial MX500 250GB SSD and reinstalled Windows and thing began to work quite acceptable with instant UI response at last. So in your case upgrade to SSD is mandatory too. Windows reinstall is recommended as well. Then thing at least will feel like computer. Former HDD you can put into external USB 3.0 HDD case and use as big "thumb drive". We did exactly that.
Then that looks like a good solution