[SOLVED] How can I get my old hard drive boot windows?

fede2022

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2014
Hi guys,

I installed a new SSD in an older computer in an attempt to get a little more life out of it. I installed windows on the SSD and kept the old hard drive connected so I could access my old files. After using it for a bit I realized it didn't help the performance much, so I wanted to remove it and revert it back to how it was originally.

But now I'm having an issue that the old hard drive wont boot windows. I've changed the boot order in the BIOS but im still prompted with a message that there is no bootable device. Its odd because when I first installed windows on the SSD it booted windows from the old hard drive because I forgot to save the boot order in the BIOS. The only thing that I did was enable inheritance of my user files so that I could access them on the SSD.

Does anyone know what I could do to get windows to run again as it was before? Could I use the repair feature from a windows 10 disc? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Solution
If the SSD seems to not perform a LOT better than your old HDD it may be that your HDD is dragging it down. In my experience, an SSD performance is like day and night over an HDD. I would remove the old HDD and see the performance b4 switching back to the HDD.
In the past, and I can't remember which OS it was, when I dual booted my system, with one drive loaded with the new OS and one with the old OS, the new OS would mess up the old OS requiring a repair of the old system. But I did not have that problem with the same OS on each drive.

ruggb

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2009
If the SSD seems to not perform a LOT better than your old HDD it may be that your HDD is dragging it down. In my experience, an SSD performance is like day and night over an HDD. I would remove the old HDD and see the performance b4 switching back to the HDD.
In the past, and I can't remember which OS it was, when I dual booted my system, with one drive loaded with the new OS and one with the old OS, the new OS would mess up the old OS requiring a repair of the old system. But I did not have that problem with the same OS on each drive.

Solution

fede2022

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2014
D seems to not perform a LOT better than your old HDD it may be that your HDD is dragging it down. In my experience, an SSD performance is like day and night over an HDD. I would remove the old HDD and see the performance b4 switching back to the HDD.
In the past, and I can't remember which OS it was, when I dual booted my system, with one drive loaded with the new OS and one with the old OS, the new OS would mess up the old OS requiring a repair of the old system. But I did not have that problem with

Thanks for your reply. How did you repair the old system? did you use the repair boot option from a windows disc as well?

TRENDING THREADS