Question How can i get my wifi speeds through an Ethernet connection.

tevans319

Prominent
Dec 13, 2017
Hi,

My fiber internet is currently provided by KCOM (Kingston Communications UK). I am paying for a connection with speeds of up to 350mb. The router uses both the 2.4ghz band to push a signal up to 30mb and on the 5ghz band i can get up to the 350mb (if i'm close) but usually i get around 120mb upstairs but this can be patchy because the signal needs to travel through a few walls. When i plug an Ethernet cable into the router and connect it to my PC or xbox i only get a max of 30mb. I understand that wireless radio signals have nothing to do with Ethernet but what im trying to understand is how to get the higher speeds that i get on the 5ghz band through a cable. These higher speeds are coming into the router through the fiber cable so i must be able to get those speeds from the router using an Ethernet cable somehow but at the moment i only get a max of 30mb.

For information there are currently around 10 devices connected to the network at any one time.

3 phones (On the 2.4 band)
2 laptops (On the 2.4 band)
1 desktop PC running an MSI Z97-GD65 motherboard, Corsair RM550 power supply (On the 5ghz band)
2 xbox ones (one original one scorpio both on the 5ghz band)
2 Samsung smart Tv's (On the 2.4 band)

Any help would be greatly appreciated :)

kanewolf

Titan
First thing to double check -- megabits (Mb) vs megabytes (MB). Most download speeds are in megabytes (MB) and ISP speeds are in megabits. Your 35MB on your PC would be about 300Mb. You MIGHT be getting the correct speeds on downloads but not getting the units correct.

Reactions: Barty1884